Next Canon 5d?

AldazarAldazar Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited June 23, 2011 in Cameras
Anyone have any idea/speculation/thoughts as to when Canon will next update the 5d?

Comments

• ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    http://www.canonrumors.com/

Pretty much the most reliable source of information regarding this.
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    Why do people keep asking this?
    Is the current 5D not good enough or something?! eek7.gif
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    Just looking at the previous release cycle history of ALL Canon cameras combined, I firmly believe that we will see a 5D mk3 either within the next few months, or early next year.

Considering the systematic advances in features and performance, I would say the 5D mk3 will have between 21 and 30 megapixels, 4-5 frames per second, and an AF system somewhere between the current 5D mk2 and the 7D's new 20-something point AF system. Some people are worried that Canon will stick with their 9-point AF, some people are hopeful that Canon will go all the way and use the 45-point AF in the flagship cameras. I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

It will probably be $2700 or $3000-$3500, depending on the feature set. (If they just do a megapixel boost and interface update to a 5D mk2 it will be just $2700, but if they shoot for the moon and add a pro AF system and other features, then it COULD cost more.

Of course everything is just speculation at this point, but my predictions are general enough that they're 99.9% likely to be true.
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    Well... we know as much as we did a year ago! The 5D2 may have been Canon's most anticipated DSLR, and right now I think the 5D3 is. Here's my reply from a thread here a few weeks ago.
    Yeah, really. But nobody knows. I do think it will happen this year, for the following reasons:

1. 5D1: Aug 2005. 5D2: Sept 2008. Following the pattern, 5D3: Oct 2011.

2. Some say they won't because of the earthquake. But Canon proved that they aren't afraid of releasing new products when they recently announced some new Pixmas.

3. Canon is recovering well from the earthquake. They announced that they will be shipping the lenses (released in August) this fall. Based on this, it sounds like the delays are coming to an end and their new factory is finally starting to operate without delays.

But, since the 5D2 is selling so well, they might wait till 5D2 sales drop. Like I said, nobody knows.

Specs? Again, no one knows. But I'll spec-ulate.

32mp. Canon's very best HD video (this will likely be their flagship video camera). Same body as mk2. Improved ISO (like that of the D3s). 5fps, but 6-8 is very possible.

I'm aggressive there. With the 1Ds4 delay, I think the new 1Ds is gonna be pretty amazing. At least 40mp. Canon wants customers to say, "Yes, the 1Ds4 is worth $5,000 more than the 5D3."

Remember, the 5D3 will have to compete with the Nikon D800. The D700 already does 8fps. I think the 5D3 will do 5 with an 8fps grip option. Or maybe just 8fps without the grip.

The 5D3, 1Ds4, Canon mirrorless (maybe, maybe not), Nikon mirrorless, Nikon D800, and Nikon D4 should all come out this year. It'll be pretty interesting. To loosely quote Ziggy, the best thing to do about the new toys is to wait.
  • Stuart-MStuart-M Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011

It will probably be $2700 or $3000-$3500, depending on the feature set. (If they just do a megapixel boost and interface update to a 5D mk2 it will be just $2700, but if they shoot for the moon and add a pro AF system and other features, then it COULD cost more.

I think that both GBP and USD have weakened considerably since the release of the Mk. II so it's likely the price in the UK & US may go up, even if in Japan and Europe the price reduces a little. BTW, I can't see adding 7D style autofocus adding much to the cost, after all, the 7D is a much cheaper camera. Personally, I'd really like to see better AF points, rather than more of them, especially the centre one.
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    Aldazar wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea/speculation/thoughts as to when Canon will next update the 5d?

my thoughts and speculation: I think the new 5dMkIII will be out this year
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited June 22, 2011
    I think the camera might be almost ready, but there will likely be a new 24-105 mkII lens they'll want to market it with. It might be the lens that is holding things up.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    It'll be interesting to see which direction Canon goes with this camera. It's been over 3 years now since we have seen a new full frame camera body!
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    It's been over 3 years now

i-TgRT46T-X3.gifi-TgRT46T-X3.gif
    i-TgRT46T-X3.gifi-TgRT46T-X3.gif
  • pmaxwellpmaxwell Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    I just want them to hurry up and announce. I have been wanting to pull the trigger on a 5D or 7D for about a month now.
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    Hint... D3X.
  • HurtNoMoreHurtNoMore Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited June 23, 2011
    Internet consensus puts 5d mkiii out sometime in the spring of 2012. My guess is that the uncertainty band will be skewed to later (than that) rather than sooner. The mkii is still selling well, and there was that whole earthquake thing...