Options

Reception/Location Lighting

ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
edited June 23, 2011 in Weddings
I'm currently using two 580 exii flashes. Once I get to the reception, I typically throw one of them on a stand with a CP-E4 battery pack and a pocketwizard and then go to town. However, I know that I have to be aware of how often I'm firing it and how hot it is getting. With that in mind, I have a wedding this fall that I am bringing a second shooter to (my husband) and I know I'll need another flash before then if I'm going to maintain my same setup and have a flash on his body, too.

So, I'm curious. What wirelessly triggered lighting do you use? I'm interested in setups that don't involve buying another flash as well as those that do. PW triggered would be nice since I already have two transceivers and a FlexTT5. And, if you think I should just buy another flash and call it good, do I really need another 580 exii if I'm just using it for OCF?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User

Comments

• Options
    OhiohikerOhiohiker Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    Midwest Photos LP160's are good flashes and they have a few left for $130. I use an older LP120 and have never had it overheat. If you plan on needing something that recycles quickly and won't overheat, you may look at a studio strobe. If you have access to power then Alien Bees are an inexpensive way to do this. If you need battery power you would have toward some of the higher end systems like Elinchrom, Profoto etc. For just one event though why buy when you can rent. Plenty of places out there rent lighting that is delivered to your door.

For what you would pay for another 580ex you could rent some studio lights and use your pocket wizards for what you are shooting and then have your second shooter use the 580 ex on camera and have a spare sitting in the bag if something goes wrong.

If you rent though the first time you get the equipment get an extra day or two and play with it to become familiar before you need to rely on it.
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2011
    At this point I could justify just buying a set up in order to gain the faster refresh and not be stuck switching out batteries all the time in order to cool my flash down. I was checking out the Profoto deal they have going now where you buy a power source and get the head for free. I just want to make sure I get what will be the most reliable and that I don't buy something that I won't be happy with in the long run.
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    If you have Profoto money then by all means, do it. Those Profoto AcuteB2 look really nice but I can't spend that much. I just purchased a single Elinchrom Quadra, but even that is mostly for outdoor stuff.

Indoors I think I will default to speedlights. If you're using speedlights on your FlexTT5's only as remote flashes, save some coin and pick up some 430exII's or 550ex's. Both are powerful enough for a reception and have excellent range with the PW's.
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    Why do you want your light to always come from the same point? Why not bounce your on camera flash? Here is a little tut I did using some prom shots I did a few years ago. http://www.lightcraft-photography.com/Other/side-wall-bounce-lighting/12283790_sdqfh

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2011
    mmmatt wrote: »
    Why do you want your light to always come from the same point? Why not bounce your on camera flash? Here is a little tut I did using some prom shots I did a few years ago. http://www.lightcraft-photography.com/Other/side-wall-bounce-lighting/12283790_sdqfh

Matt
    I typically keep a 580 exii on my camera and bounce with a Demb bounce card. But I like the dimension that an OCF can give me. I've typically just pointed the OCF at the ceiling or another bounce card or shot it through an umbrella depending on the situation.
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    I typically keep a 580 exii on my camera and bounce with a Demb bounce card. But I like the dimension that an OCF can give me. I've typically just pointed the OCF at the ceiling or another bounce card or shot it through an umbrella depending on the situation.

I don't think you looked at my link... I'm not talking about bouncing off a ceiling or using a card.
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2011
    Oh, I know. I did look at your link. I've bounced all over the place before. But sometimes I like having another lighting source, primarily for the dance floor. Also, sometimes I don't want to side bounce it and wind up flashing someone in the face. Or the surface that I'd be bouncing off of is either nonexistant (if it is an outdoor reception) or is sometimes a surface that I don't want to bounce off of (like a pine plank wall, which I can fix the color of in post, but I'd rather shoot without bouncing off of it and not have to deal with the orange ting in the first place).
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    Alienbees have a portable power supple. It's called Vagabond 2. Works really well. I have one...and love it.

A B800 and the Vagabond will run you around $600 US.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2011
    Do you place the flash on the stand and then just leave it in the same position for the entire reception or do you move the stand around with you?