Palouse Images

Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
edited July 7, 2011 in Landscapes
I spent 3 days shooting Palouse area with Adrian Klein & Kevin McNeal, it was a wonderful time. We were there June 3 -5th which was a bit early this year. All the rains that WA received kept some of the farmers from being able to plow and plant their fields, but rest assured we found those that were planted. I know we have all seen images from this area but it was fun to try and find something unique using a long lens and zooming in on various vignettes in the distance.

Please all C&C is considered valuable by me.

#1 RedBarnPalouseWeb.jpg

#2 Please let me know if you think the small sections of reflected water are welcome or a distraction.
EpicSunriseSteptoeWeb.jpg

#3PalouseStrongCenterCurveWeb.jpg

#4 This shot was taken on the Northeast side of Steptoe Butte, it was a bit of a hike
LupinandMustardFlowerWeb.jpg

Comments

• TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    OMG! Incredible shots...all of them! The reflections in the water aren't a distraction to me.....it let's the viewer know there is actually a waterway there. You really did a wonderful job.
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    Great images. There is so much going on in that first one. I couldn't believe it kept going and going with more incredible elements to fill up the frame. Fantastic job with that one thumb.gif
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    Great set of pictures. Love the layers you are getting in #1 and #3. Great composition in #4.
  • E ColbyE Colby Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    The first one is stunning. All are great. You have made my part of Washington look wonderful.
    Cheers,
    Colby
    "Anything more than 500 yards from the car just isn't photogenic." Edward Weston
  • idiotabroadidiotabroad Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    Water is a distraction to my untrained eye. There is a lot to look at in that photo which is all great and flows together. When my eyes gets to the very little pencil line water it stays and circles it. If there was more I would say perfect, but since there is very little, it's comparable to a naked person standing in the forground. lol, meaning its distracting to me. My poor atempt at humor. :) Lets see one without it.
    Mark

If you don't agree with me then your wrong.
    I can't be held accountable for what I say, I'm bipolar.
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    I really like #2 and #4 Doug.

The water in #2 does not really bother me at all, but it would not bother me if it were gone either. I really like the star effect of the setting sun and the clouds and lighting are just great.

#4 is just a very nice composition to me. I love the colorful flowers against the beautiful sky.

I need to get out to Steptoe SOON!! Thanks for sharing these. I agree with Colby!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Mathieu05Mathieu05 Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    Wow! those are excellent shots. the reflection from the waterways is not a distraction to me. very serene place.
    Chris Odchigue | Photography

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.”
  • CameronMillerCameronMiller Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    Great shots! I especially love #4. Excellent composition, colors, and beautiful sky. The barn in #1 looks a little saturated, but it may just be my monitor. Well done.
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    TreyHoff wrote: »
    OMG! Incredible shots...all of them! The reflections in the water aren't a distraction to me.....it let's the viewer know there is actually a waterway there. You really did a wonderful job.
    Thanks for your comments and thoughts on the water Trey.
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Great images. There is so much going on in that first one. I couldn't believe it kept going and going with more incredible elements to fill up the frame. Fantastic job with that one thumb.gif
    Thanks Eyal, I felt the same way when I was standing there. It is not only what is in front of you but as far as the eye can seen 360 degrees are these beautiful rolling hills.
    hawkeye978 wrote: »
    Great set of pictures. Love the layers you are getting in #1 and #3. Great composition in #4.
    Thank you Tom for your kind words.
    E Colby wrote: »
    The first one is stunning. All are great. You have made my part of Washington look wonderful.
    Cheers,
    Colby
    Thanks for your wonderful compliment Colby.
    Water is a distraction to my untrained eye. There is a lot to look at in that photo which is all great and flows together. When my eyes gets to the very little pencil line water it stays and circles it. If there was more I would say perfect, but since there is very little, it's comparable to a naked person standing in the forground. lol, meaning its distracting to me. My poor atempt at humor. :) Lets see one without it.
    Naked, wow you must have really been distracted by the water, lol. Thank you for you opinion, that is what I was needing to hear Idiotabroad.
    ront wrote: »
    I really like #2 and #4 Doug.
    The water in #2 does not really bother me at all, but it would not bother me if it were gone either. I really like the star effect of the setting sun and the clouds and lighting are just great.

#4 is just a very nice composition to me. I love the colorful flowers against the beautiful sky.

I need to get out to Steptoe SOON!! Thanks for sharing these. I agree with Colby!

Ron
    Thank you much Ron, you won't regret making the trip, it is a photographers candy store.
    Mathieu05 wrote: »
    Wow! those are excellent shots. the reflection from the waterways is not a distraction to me. very serene place.
    Thank you Chris for you comments and thoughts.
    Great shots! I especially love #4. Excellent composition, colors, and beautiful sky. The barn in #1 looks a little saturated, but it may just be my monitor. Well done.
    Thank yor Cameron, your probably right about the barn.
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2011
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Thank you much Ron, you won't regret making the trip, it is a photographers candy store.

I only live about 30 minutes from Steptoe. It is just getting the time to go! We were going to out this last Saturday, BUT, it rained all day long:(. It is a beautiful place indeed!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2011
    Fantastic shots Doug. I saw some of Adrian and Kevins work from that trip, yours are right up there!
    edited June 24, 2011
    ront wrote: »
    I only live about 30 minutes from Steptoe. It is just getting the time to go! We were going to out this last Saturday, BUT, it rained all day long:(. It is a beautiful place indeed!!

Ron
    OMG! You have no excuses if your only 30 minutes away. lol

bryanj87 wrote: »
    Fantastic shots Doug. I saw some of Adrian and Kevins work from that trip, yours are right up there!
    Thanks Bryan, yea those two guys are hard to compete with.
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2011
    I particularly like the first and third ones.
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    Gorgeous light in all of these, Doug! Very, very nice set.

#2 is easily my favorite of the bunch (I'm a sucker for that type of intense sunset!) but the two spots of water are drawing my eye. I don't know that you would want to get rid of them all together, but taking the exposure down on them a bit may help minimize their draw
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    Really enjoyed your set. Wonderful images!
  • red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    I've kept coming back to this set... just stunningly gorgeous scenery, and very well done photos.
    Cornflake wrote: »
    I particularly like the first and third ones.
    Thanks Cornflake.

CWSkopec wrote: »
    Gorgeous light in all of these, Doug! Very, very nice set.

#2 is easily my favorite of the bunch (I'm a sucker for that type of intense sunset!) but the two spots of water are drawing my eye. I don't know that you would want to get rid of them all together, but taking the exposure down on them a bit may help minimize their draw

Thanks for your thoughts and kind words Chris. The vote has been very close for those it bothers and those who are not bothered by the water reflection but you may have the right answer, I should lower the contrast of the reflection so it really is a non-issue.
    Really enjoyed your set. Wonderful images!
    Thanks Jon, I really enjoyed your website btw.

red_zone wrote: »
    I've kept coming back to this set... just stunningly gorgeous scenery, and very well done photos.
    Thanks much Jake for your comments.
  • Stella7dStella7d Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2011
    OMG! These are absolutely stunning images!! Each one displays such magnificent beauty!!
  • johnbrinerjohnbriner Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited June 28, 2011
    I can't believe, it was all taken for only 3days,cool! They are all eye-filling breathtaking shots! Nothing much to say but it was pleasing good! Keep it up!
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2011
    Whoa, that's an intense sunrise (sunset?) in #2. My favorite is the last shot though, nice wide and sweeping composition.
    edited July 2, 2011
    Stella7d wrote: »
    OMG! These are absolutely stunning images!! Each one displays such magnificent beauty!!
    Thank you Stella for your comments.
    johnbriner wrote: »
    I can't believe, it was all taken for only 3days,cool! They are all eye-filling breathtaking shots! Nothing much to say but it was pleasing good! Keep it up!
    I was a productive 3+ days, I have a few more I'll post. Thanks for your comments John
    Nice series!
    Thank you Mike
    coscorrosa wrote: »
    Whoa, that's an intense sunrise (sunset?) in #2. My favorite is the last shot though, nice wide and sweeping composition.
    Thanks Ron, #2 was a sunrise, the most intense I've ever seen. It began firing up as we were still driving and we just deciding to jump out and run to the front side of Steptoe before we missed it. Turned out it kept getting better and better.
  • JRomieJRomie Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    They're all GREAT shots. Every one of them. #1 is my favorite but, at the same time, it's the only one that bothers me just a little....like it's a bit too soft in places, as if a bit much smoothing or noise reduction or something. But that's really only a niit pick....I still love the shot. Great series.
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
  • joe-bobjoe-bob Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2011
    Doug, these are all fabulous shots. The 1st picture is my favorite. It's an amazing shot for a long lens.
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
    Nice series, Doug. I've heard those guys put on a great workshop. Palouse is on my short list!
  • neatnameneatname Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited July 7, 2011
    Great shots! I love it out here.
    edited July 7, 2011
    FlyNavy wrote: »
    Great set! Very well done.
    Thanks FlyNavy
    joe-bob wrote: »
    Doug, these are all fabulous shots. The 1st picture is my favorite. It's an amazing shot for a long lens.
    Thanks Joe, I used a long lens almost exclusively on that trip
    chrismoore wrote: »
    Nice series, Doug. I've heard those guys put on a great workshop. Palouse is on my short list!
    Thanks Chris, they really do put on a wonderful WS. They have been there so many times they have many backup plans to keep chasing the light.
    neatname wrote: »
    Great shots! I love it out here.
    I agree Neatname
    JRomie wrote: »
    They're all GREAT shots. Every one of them. #1 is my favorite but, at the same time, it's the only one that bothers me just a little....like it's a bit too soft in places, as if a bit much smoothing or noise reduction or something. But that's really only a niit pick....I still love the shot. Great series.
    Thank you for your comments JRomie. I did some selected noise reduction especially in the dark trees and that did soften them a bit