Options

Got 'em: Genuine Canon BP-511A Battery

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited October 10, 2005 in Flea Market
have you got a spare spare? if so, i'm interested in buying. needs to be a recent purchase, and must be the the genuine canon model. if you have an extra that you don't use or need, please pm me.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    edited October 9, 2005
    found 'em. for some reason, i was only finding them at $80 each. found them at a good price, $50

thx
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2005
    In my experience, the knockoffs, like the one Adorama sells, are both much cheaper and have much longer battery life. These batteries are rated in mAh (milliamps), the more the longer you can go between charges. I've been using knockoffs since my D60 days with no problems and noticably longer life.

I found an 1800 mAh one for <$12 on Amazon. By comparison, the genuine Canon battery is $45 for 1380mAh.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2005
    Just bought an Energizer 1500mah last long than Canon £30
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 9, 2005
    Well since Andy found 'em we can hijack away, right? naughty.gif

So I just bought 2, yes 2, NB-2's for my XT at the price of $3. Even with $5 shipping, I paid $8 for 2 batteries. That's a savings on the order of several hundred percent.

How can Canon charge so much for their brand? What am I missing, if the rating and shape is the same, isn't it the same battery? Not exactly rocket science to make a battery these days. Even if my no-name brands last 3/4 or even 1/2 as long, I'm saving tons of money.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited October 9, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I'm saving tons of money.

read this...
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2005
    Care to post a linkie?
    DoctorIt wrote:

So I just bought 2, yes 2, NB-2's for my XT at the price of $3. Even with $5 shipping, I paid $8 for 2 batteries. That's a savings on the order of several hundred percent.

How can Canon charge so much for their brand? What am I missing, if the rating and shape is the same, isn't it the same battery? Not exactly rocket science to make a battery these days. Even if my no-name brands last 3/4 or even 1/2 as long, I'm saving tons of money.
    Where did you get those ? If you dont mind sharing...
    Thanks!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:

The difference is the cut-off circuits.

LI-ion or LI-poly batteries will become unstable if discharged too far, or overcharged too far. When they're unstable, the next time you charge or use them, there's a risk of chemical breakdown and explosion.

I enjoy my semi-knockoffs. I get mine from ACCstation.com, but I can't guarantee that my batts are the same ones that he sells now. (he may have changed supplieers)
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 10, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Where did you get those ? If you dont mind sharing...
    Thanks!thumb.gif
    ebay, don't remember the seller, there were several at basically the same price.

way to ruin my day guys, thanks. rolleyes1.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited October 10, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    ebay, don't remember the seller, there were several at basically the same price.

way to ruin my day guys, thanks. rolleyes1.gif

yep. put that in your bunsen burner and smoke it lol3.gif