Options

SOOC #79 tries

DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
edited June 25, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
I went to the Chihuly exhibit at the MFA Boston with my Wife on Monday. Shot these raw+jpeg. These are from the raw, but close to untouched jpeg I can upload.

Are any of these challenge worthy?

1)
IMGP8266-L.jpg

2)
IMGP8281-L.jpg

3)
IMGP8285-L.jpg

4)
IMGP8301-L.jpg

C&C welcome,

Don
Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook

Comments

• Options
    DirquistDirquist Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    I like #1 and #4 best. I could spend a lot of time looking at either of them. You gave me an idea though, I have a friend that works for Chihuly and has a Chihuly right in his house. I should go take some pics of it, that is of course if I can get him to take it out of its glass case. hmm... Anyhow, I digress, nice shots indeed.

EDIT: Is it possible that pics number 2 and 3 are part of Chihuly's “Persian Ceiling”? That thing looks amazing. My buddy installed it.
  • Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    Dirquist wrote: »
    I like #1 and #4 best.
    15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    Interesting that I disagree - I like #2 and #3 best. I think the concentric patterns appeal to me. #4 looks a little soft.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2011
    Thank you all for looking and commenting. Posted #4 to the gallery for now. Awaiting more comments.

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    Oh Man, those are slick! Yep...#4 for me too!
    tom wise
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    Very nice glass artwork - I like best #2.

The blue verticals make a nice composition and nice shot (#4), but my logical side of the brain cannot understand
    the setup and mix of glass and wood... maybe I'm missing something headscratch.gif

PS: in the gallery, the image is lighter and I like the tones better than in the example you posted here (at least on my screen)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2011
    Very nice glass artwork - I like best #2.

The blue verticals make a nice composition and nice shot (#4), but my logical side of the brain cannot understand
    the setup and mix of glass and wood... maybe I'm missing something headscratch.gif

PS: in the gallery, the image is lighter and I like the tones better than in the example you posted here (at least on my screen)
    Thanks for replying. As I said, here I've posted from the raw as they apear in my Chihuly Gallery. The jpeg shot at the same time woud appear somewhat differently due to the LR processing to jpeg.

Don
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    I'm a number 4 man, myself.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2011
    I didn't notice the lady in the FG in #4 until I looked in the gallery. That piece is huge!
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2011
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    I didn't notice the lady in the FG in #4 until I looked in the gallery. That piece is huge!

Right :)

I like 8304!!!

and 8254 :)
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2011
    In looking at your gallery, I like the garden detail in landscape better than the portrait one. You should post it here for comments.

And I also like the ceiling shot with the people in it. The light on the wall and the lady taking a picture really add to it.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2011
    Right :)

I like 8304!!!

and 8254 :)
    DO you mean 8303 and 8254 in My gallery? Unfortunately I wasn't shooting raw+ jpeg on any of those baskets. I don't usually shoot that way. Just did some with both. ne_nau.gif

I could use 8303:

5)
    IMGP8303-L.jpg
  • Options
    DirquistDirquist Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    That last one $5 is almost perfect but it is a bit of a let down to see the backdrop end at the ceiling. Takes away some from the mystery of it a little.
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    These are great - I love Chihuly glass! I like the shapes in #1 but not real thrilled with the shadow. Love the colors, lighting & comp of #2. #3 is pretty, but a bit over-dominated by the blue to me. #4 & #5 - WOW! I saw your entry in the gallery but also did not notice the person in the side & thought it was small - that is HUGE! I like that it is so different, the contrast with the rough wood & the slick glass with the single color shade for each - sweet art installation! My fav is #4, with #2 being a close second.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2011
    Dirquist wrote: »
    That last one $5 is almost perfect but it is a bit of a let down to see the backdrop end at the ceiling. Takes away some from the mystery of it a little.

I agree with this, but this last one has more depth and it shows the scale, so the viewer can understand what it is about - at least I need this... :)

- So between that one in the gallery and this shot I (personally) prefer last one.
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2011
    lkbart wrote: »
    These are great - I love Chihuly glass! I like the shapes in #1 but not real thrilled with the shadow. Love the colors, lighting & comp of #2. #3 is pretty, but a bit over-dominated by the blue to me. #4 & #5 - WOW! I saw your entry in the gallery but also did not notice the person in the side & thought it was small - that is HUGE! I like that it is so different, the contrast with the rough wood & the slick glass with the single color shade for each - sweet art installation! My fav is #4, with #2 being a close second.
    Thank you, lkbart for the comments.
    I agree with this, but this last one has more depth and it shows the scale, so the viewer can understand what it is about - at least I need this... :)

- So between that one in the gallery and this shot I (personally) prefer last one.
    Thank you, photo-funtasia for your comments, too.

I'm still up in the air as to which version of the two log ones to use, #4 or #5. I like both and I would prefer the darker back ground I get with some PP'ing on the raws, but have to go with the SOOCs. Leaning towards #4, the one already posted to the gallery, myself.

:D

Don
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    Of the 2 log shots, I think I like #4 best. Wish there was one without people. I also really like the colors and patterns in #2.
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    Whoa. Too hard to pick. Each one has a good argument for selection. I think that for now #1 is my favorite.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug