Options

SOOC/Pullbacks/thoughts?

angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
edited June 25, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi all! I decided to take the SOOC challenge a bit farther and include some potential entries that I normally wouldn't consider. Tell me where you stand on these images.

Much, Much thanks for looking and commenting!:thumb

#1 Side-Scene
i-JgjB2LH-L.jpg

#2. Behind me
i-3Tn6f4f-L.jpg

#3. Behind me too~
i-r3XJ9PV-L.jpg

#4. Left Step
i-4FMJvMb-L.jpg

#5 Right Step
i-dNCR6NM-L.jpg

#6. Right Step Warm
i-ms6jSfJ-L.jpg
tom wise

Comments

• Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2011
    Way cool on the pullbacks! It is exciting to see how you achieve the back lighting.

In #1, I would prefer to see separation between the model and the building. And it is not level.

Of the pullbacks, I like #3 best - the intensity in your posture and the light behind her. And it is the only one that is level.

My favorite is #4 - Left Step. I like that the camera is on the same plane as her eyes. She has a pensive dreamy expression and the hand draped down contributes to that, almost as if she has forgotten she is holding the flower.

#5 is second. I like more black-eyed susans in the water. She is looking at the camera, inviting the viewer into her world. The camera is looking down on her and I don't like that as much. But from this perspective, you might try her reaching toward the camera as if expecting a hand up. Or flirting with the camera.

#6 is a bit too washed out for my tastes.
  • Options
    rbustraenrbustraen Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2011
    I like #4 as well as she isn't looking directly into the camera but off into the distance.

- Randy
    - Randy

Photo Of The Day & My SmugMug Gallery
    Canon 7D and not enough L glass....
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2011
    I like #4 and #5 - I'm not sure which one more...
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2011
    Of the pullbacks I like the composition in #3 the best, and in the actual model shots I like the back lighting in both plus the scattered, floating flowers. In #4, I like the more candid nature of it plus the reflection; in #5 though I like the idea of "the right step" since she could be a bride thinking about making the right step! Don't know if this is reality of course, but I like a story. GP
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2011
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    Way cool on the pullbacks! It is exciting to see how you achieve the back lighting.

In #1, I would prefer to see separation between the model and the building. And it is not level.

Of the pullbacks, I like #3 best - the intensity in your posture and the light behind her. And it is the only one that is level.

My favorite is #4 - Left Step. I like that the camera is on the same plane as her eyes. She has a pensive dreamy expression and the hand draped down contributes to that, almost as if she has forgotten she is holding the flower.

#5 is second. I like more black-eyed susans in the water. She is looking at the camera, inviting the viewer into her world. The camera is looking down on her and I don't like that as much. But from this perspective, you might try her reaching toward the camera as if expecting a hand up. Or flirting with the camera.

#6 is a bit too washed out for my tastes.

Glad you liked the pull backs. When I saw them, I thought even they might work for this DSS.

yeah, it's not level, but I admit operating two cameras still has me jumpin a bit.

thanks for the thoughtful critique
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2011
    rbustraen wrote: »
    I like #4 as well as she isn't looking directly into the camera but off into the distance.

- Randy

thanks!
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2011
    GretaPics wrote: »
    Of the pullbacks I like the composition in #3 the best, and in the actual model shots I like the back lighting in both plus the scattered, floating flowers. In #4, I like the more candid nature of it plus the reflection; in #5 though I like the idea of "the right step" since she could be a bride thinking about making the right step! Don't know if this is reality of course, but I like a story. GP

Great vision!
    tom wise
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    Very cool! The pullbacks are neat & the idea for the shot is very imaginative! I like the model's look/position in #4 but the lighting on her face in #5. Also, in #4 you can see a bit of what she's standing on in the water & there doesn't seem to be as many flowers in the water as in #5. My fav is definitely #5!
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    Love pull backs! Thanks for sharing your setups! I think #5 is my favorite although I think I would have liked a little more foreground light. Just my opinion though.
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    #5 is my favorite, I like the connection with the camera
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2011
    dlscott56 wrote: »
    Love pull backs! Thanks for sharing your setups! I think #5 is my favorite although I think I would have liked a little more foreground light. Just my opinion though.
    Thanks! I think you're right on the lighting, just not enough, or not enough control of it!
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2011
    lkbart wrote: »
    Very cool! The pullbacks are neat & the idea for the shot is very imaginative! I like the model's look/position in #4 but the lighting on her face in #5. Also, in #4 you can see a bit of what she's standing on in the water & there doesn't seem to be as many flowers in the water as in #5. My fav is definitely #5!

Thanks for the feedback.

I've decided to scrap these and try something else. I have some more I did yesterday that may work better for me.
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2011
    ic4u wrote: »
    #5 is my favorite, I like the connection with the camera

Same here! Thanks!
    tom wise