Options

5D--Focusing Screen Loose?

TheCheeseheadTheCheesehead Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
edited June 23, 2011 in Cameras
Hi,

If anyone else has had this problem and wouldn't mind explaining a little more about it I would appreciate it. I sent in my 5D along with my 24-70 because I was having some soft images...usually anything beyond 15ft or so. So I got the email back from Canon stating the 5D has a loose focusing screen, at a cost of $211. The 24-70 hasn't been inspected yet, but they want $120 to look at it, which I paid. If anyone else has had a loose focusing screen and can tell me more about it I would appreciate it. I have no clue what it is and how it would affect my pictures.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited June 23, 2011
    The repair facilities are notorious for not giving you all the facts for the needed repairs. If you are expecting much guidance from the simple statement of "loose focusing screen" I'm afraid you will be disappointed. I'm betting there is much more going on for that bill.

A loose focusing screen will not, in and of itself, necessarily cause poor auto-focus (AF). The AF section is actually located below the main mirror at the bottom of the camera and a loose focusing screen has nothing directly to do with AF accuracy. It would, of course, affect manual focus and what you see through the viewfinder.

Since you sent in both the camera and lens, rest assured that Canon will do an AF calibration on both the body AF and the lens calibration to the camera. When you get the camera and lens back you can expect correct AF operation to the limits of their calibration equipment and procedure. This process of checking the AF and setting the calibration is probably part of your bill, even if not stated in the estimate diagnostic message. If you still find OOF images it might still be the camera/lens or it could be your technique.

Let us know if you still have problems and give us links to full-res images with full EXIF and we may be able to help determine the cause and recommend a solution.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    TheCheeseheadTheCheesehead Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2011
    Thank you Ziggy.