Options

Anyone own the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro?

2»

Comments

• Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    Since this new lens was - as I understand it - primarily designed for macro work, I'd like to see examples where it's been used - in the field (not test setups) to take critically sharp (ie 'pro' quality) macro pics @ 1:1 (or greater mag with ext. tubes), in natural light, unsupported/handheld ...@ settings that usefully employ its main operational difference with the previous Canon macro - 2 stops or less of IS.

Dan - when I wrote the above, I used 'hand held / natural light etc' for specific reasons - because that's the sort of situation where the new IS equipped lens is supposed to be better than the old ...

Showing a pic taken with flash, is somewhat different.

I'm familiar with all of the other points mentioned, btw ... and when I queried NeilL's use of 'esoteric' and 'hardcore' ... it wasn't because I'm unfamiliar with stacking or macro - but because I wanted him to 'flesh out' what aspects of macro shooting he thought such terms applied to :)

I can (obviously) imagine how 2 stops of IS could help in the situation I've described above * ... I'd just like to see some real world, 1:1 or better macro shots taken with this lens that, in essence, couldn't have been taken with the old one - because it doesn't have IS.

A side by side comparison of old / new lens, same setup/ similar shot would be even better.

Re tripod use, although I rarely use one these days for this sort of thing, it's not a totally unknown endeavour - note the lens used and what would've been involved in its use.

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2708&highlight=

pp
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    Paul,

Good point--flash stops motion, so my shot is not really fully on target. Many of my bug shots are flash, and I don't have time today to search for some that aren't and that were done with this lens, but I did do a bunch of completely handheld (no monopod) natural light shots when I got the lens, just to see what it would do, and IS was consistently giving me an extra 1.5-2 stops at 1:1 or close to it. I don't know whether the IS is worth it in general, but for me, given what I do and my not especially steady hands, I find it is nice to have. And of course it is great to have the 4 stops when using the lens for non-macro use.

Dan
  • Options
    DirquistDirquist Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    Ive read every word in this thread several times now and have bookmarked all the wonderful links provided. I literally have weeks or more of reading to do and then the joy of flailing around trying to produce good results as well as adding my own artistic views to the techniques. I couldnt have asked for a better thread and better people contributing to it.

BTW, I just love your DIY puzzledpaul. I have a special place in my heart for anything DIY. They typically arent quite as good in actual application but to me they make up for it in personal satisfaction. And hey, sometimes they are even better than consumer purchased goods. Either way, being a DIY guy myself I can really appreciate what you did there.
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    Dirquist - good to hear that you're also a DIYer :)
    This'll come in handy (imo) in all sorts of ways when investigating and trying to take pics in the macro world - great fun to be had on your doorstep (literally, sometimes)
    Yes, the results of DIYing can vary and indeed can sometimes be better than commercial stuff - and sometimes there just isn't any suitable product available anyway, so either got to go without - or make your own.

Best of luck with whatever you go for / end up with - and get a good deal ... don't get stung :)

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2557&highlight=nettle

pp
  • Options
    DirquistDirquist Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited July 25, 2011
    Well its almost a month later and I just picked up a used 100mm 2.8L up on Craigslist locally for $700 cash. Not a crazy amazing deal but its by FAR the best Ive seen come up since Ive had the money in hand to even buy new if I wanted. But Ive been sitting patiently waiting for a Canon refurb deal and of course bi-daily craigslist shopping. Saw this pop and and was right on it. So thanks everyone, now I can actually start to learn hands on instead of only on screen ;-)
  • Options
    borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2011
    We are offering this lens for 25% off this week if the rental ships this week. I don't want to spam the board but if anyone wants to rent this lens, this week would be a great time!
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses