Best manual lenses for a Nikon D3?

roguewaveroguewave Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited June 25, 2011 in Cameras
I have a project to shoot in a VERY dark Jazz club in NYC. I just purchased a lightly used D3 & what some fast (1,4 - 2.8) classic manual lenses. 24, 28, 80. Any help would be much appreciated. Last time I shot Nikon was in the late 60's. I use an M8 & R8/DMR for most of my work, which is iso range of 100 - 640. That just wont float in this boat. Thanks in advance. Ben

Comments

• ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2011
    What exactly are you asking? Sounds like you already go the lenses. Just practice a lot and get very familiar with the camera and lenses, especially with manual focusing. Do some test shooting in a location like the one you'll be shooting in thumb.gif
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    If money is no object, then just plunk down and go for:

24 f/2 AIS ($400-600)

35 f/1.4 AIS ($500-700)

50 f/1.2 AIS ($500-600)

85 f/1.4 AIS ($800)

Or, if you don't wanna completely break the bank, you can go:

24 f/2.8 AIS ($200-300)

35 f/2 AIS ($300)

50 f/1.4 AIS ($250)

85 f/1.8 ($300-400)

I would also recommend getting at least one AF lens, even if you don't think you'll need it, because low-light focusing can be VERY tricky. Consider at a very minimum, the new 50mm f/1.8 AFS-G, or of course the semi-new 50mm f/1.4 AFS G, or maybe an autofocus 85mm...

I use a manual focus 24mm f/2.8 all the time, for both work and pleasure, and a 50mm f/1.8 AIS quite often for commercial work, (tripod and still subject) ...but never more telephoto than that, usuallly. I own a manual focus 90mm f/2.5 macro, and it is VERY difficult to nail focus consistently for candids in low light. The D3 and D700 have quite big and bright viewfinders though, so if you're able to do it then good for you!

Good luck,
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    I had a 50 F1.4 Nikon-E series and it was great (ai-s). Those are $150 or less
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    I had a 50 F1.4 Nikon-E series and it was great (ai-s). Those are $150 or less
    Is that the version with the scallopped metal focusing ring? I really want one of those, if only to turn heads... ;-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    Is that the version with the scallopped metal focusing ring? I really want one of those, if only to turn heads... ;-)

=Matt=

No... the focusing ring is just rubber. Here's a photo of it :

KEN_5166-1200.jpg

Sheesh I resized it but it didn't work. Overkill. lol

I sold it once I bought a Canon 50 F1.4 since I was using it on a Canon via adapter :D The Nikon was great but it's terrible trying to manually focus at F1.4 during events
  • BrendanBrendan Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2011

=Matt=

Matt, that design is the pre-K version (i.e., pre-1974) of the 50/1.4. You'd need to have it AI-converted though.

—Brendan