Options

All over Beijing

chickendropchickendrop Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
edited July 9, 2011 in Journeys
Just returned from a week in Beijing. Not a place I would visit again anytime soon. The smog was so outrageous, worse than Delhi, probably the worst I've ever seen. It made me depressed to see an environment in such awful condition. My wife and I still got out and explored. HouHai and Nanluogu Xiang were great areas to walk around. The mountains of the Great Wall were beautiful, a nice break from the city. The palaces and hutongs were sprawling! The weather was intense, mid-nineties and humidity to the max! I'm guessing any other time of year would be better than the summer. Unfortunately with all of the smog the skies ranged from grey to a hazy brown, with the exception of the mountains where the blue skies tried their hardest to peak out. Here are some shots of our journey. Enjoy.

Day one. View from the hotel. Shocking:
DSC0005-L.jpg

Knobby palace doors:
DSC0009-L.jpg

Palace gates. These were awesome!:
DSC0013-L.jpg

Delivery rickshaws - cool, Pedestrian rickshaws - stay away!:
DSC0011-L.jpg

The Charlie Brown Cafe. Awesome! Good coffees and food. Free wifi too:
DSC0015-L.jpg

The Summer Palace. 290 acres. I walked it all in one day. By the end I looked like I fell in the lake:
DSC0020-L.jpg

Roof tiles at the temple of heaven:
DSC0016-L.jpg

Temple of heaven drainage:
DSC0026-L.jpg

Temple through the gates:
DSC0033-L.jpg

I love me some doors:
DSC0036-L.jpg

One of many unique bridges around the lake at The Summer Palace:
DSC0047-L.jpg

The Jade Bridge. Very steep, very cool:
DSC0042-L.jpg

Tons of birds flying through here. I kept my distance:
DSC0053-L.jpg

Old school lock:
DSC0068-L.jpg

Crazy details:
DSC0069-L.jpg

Quiet path away from the crownds on the grounds of Temple of Heaven:
DSC0074-L.jpg

Groundskeeper cutting the grass with a hand blade:
DSC0080-L.jpg

Groundskeepers ride:
DSC0083-L.jpg

Crackly wood carved door panel:
DSC0071-L.jpg

Summer palace inlays:
DSC0089-L.jpg

Summer palace carvings:
DSC0091-L.jpg

The big round door:
DSC0098-L.jpg

Driving to the mountains:
DSC0103-L.jpg

Tower view on the wall:
DSC0116-L.jpg

The Mutianyu Great Wall:
DSC0111-L.jpg

On our way:
IMG5114-L.jpg

Climbing up. Crazy hot!!:
DSC0125-L.jpg

You could fry an egg on that wall! Worst time of day for photos and hiking:
DSC0139-L.jpg

Heading back down. Completely cooked and dehydrated:
DSC0182-L.jpg

Not the best for dehydration but it sure tasted good. This was followed by several glasses of water:
IMG5120-L.jpg

Flags at HouHai:
DSC0208-L.jpg

Forbidden city worker:
DSC0238-L.jpg

Roof details:
DSC0267-L.jpg

Turtle dragon?:
DSC0271-L.jpg

Knobby roof tiles:
DSC0283-L.jpg

The massive crowd at The Forbidden City:
DSC0242-L.jpg

Big red double doors. Super ornate and kinda cool:
DSC0302-L.jpg

Hoards of hat wearing tour groups:
DSC0313-L.jpg

Checking out the architecture:
IMG5155-L.jpg

Chinese Coca-Cola:
IMG5028-L.jpg

Night view from the hotel:
IMG4968-L.jpg

A Beijing White Russian: Milk, Vodka, Stir. Ummm:
IMG5079-L.jpg

Beautiful downtown:
IMG5102-L.jpg

Afternoon in the city:
IMG5063-L.jpg

The thirst quencher:
IMG5156-L.jpg

Awesome back alley brewery:
IMG5184-L.jpg

Hutong bicycles:
DSC0340-L.jpg

Even this guy liked it:
IMG5192-L.jpg

Red bean ice cream?:
IMG5206-L.jpg

They like it:
DSC0342-L.jpg

Bus advertisement:
DSC0334-L.jpg

See ya Beijing, it's been real:
DSC0132-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    wow long post! but some great shots in there!! tnx, enjoyed it! thumb.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2011
    Thanks! I also thought it was a bit much for a post, but I wanted to show a little bit of the whole week, and this is condensed too :)
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    It was, as you say, "real"! :Dthumb.gif

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    That takes me back a dew summers to my visit to China. I think that you got worse smog than when I was there, but the overall weather seems similar. I'll agree that in't not somewhere that I'm in a hurry to go back to.

Good choice not going to the Badaling wall, there are huge crowds there.

Some good shots there, thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    rocky07rocky07 Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    gr8 shots u had green lantern with you too :)
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    Great job
    Great job with those images. Too bad the air quality was so poor; although it seems like it was clearer for your visit up to the Great Wall...

Unfortunately, visiting Beijing can be quite a crap shoot regarding the air quality. When we visited at the end of March last year, we missed a sand storm by just a few days. The conditions for photography wouild have been horrendous during that storm. We encountered very clear but, pretty darn cold conditions with a stiff wind for the three days we were in Beijing. The first day I wore only a light shirt and my photo vest and was pretty cold. However, I prefer that to smoggy or sandy...

We hit the Guilin-Yangshuo area during a drought when the Li River was too low to navigate all the way from Guilin to Yangshuo. However a couple of weeks later the Li River was overflowing its banks and Yangshuo was flooded...

We were lucky to miss the climatic extremes in the Bejing & Guilin-Yangshuo areas...
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2011
    NeilL wrote: »
    It was, as you say, "real"! :Dthumb.gif

Neil

Sometimes a little too real ;)

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2011
    jziegler wrote: »
    That takes me back a dew summers to my visit to China. I think that you got worse smog than when I was there, but the overall weather seems similar. I'll agree that in't not somewhere that I'm in a hurry to go back to.

Good choice not going to the Badaling wall, there are huge crowds there.

Some good shots there, thanks for sharing.

Thanks! The wall was the best part of the trip. Unfortunately we were there at the absolute worst time of day for photography. I wish we could have planned a sunrise or sunset trip, but with the communication hurdles I'm lucky that we just made it there and back.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2011
    rocky07 wrote: »
    gr8 shots u had green lantern with you too :)

Thanks! He's been around the world :D
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2011
    rpcrowe wrote: »
    Great job with those images. Too bad the air quality was so poor; although it seems like it was clearer for your visit up to the Great Wall...

Unfortunately, visiting Beijing can be quite a crap shoot regarding the air quality. When we visited at the end of March last year, we missed a sand storm by just a few days. The conditions for photography wouild have been horrendous during that storm. We encountered very clear but, pretty darn cold conditions with a stiff wind for the three days we were in Beijing. The first day I wore only a light shirt and my photo vest and was pretty cold. However, I prefer that to smoggy or sandy...

We hit the Guilin-Yangshuo area during a drought when the Li River was too low to navigate all the way from Guilin to Yangshuo. However a couple of weeks later the Li River was overflowing its banks and Yangshuo was flooded...

We were lucky to miss the climatic extremes in the Bejing & Guilin-Yangshuo areas...

Thanks! I was told that the sandstorms are intense. Good thing you missed the flooding!
  • Options
    WiscoFrankWiscoFrank Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    Nice shots .. in all the time I worked and lived in Beijing I bet I saw a dozen blue sky days. Saw many more yellow, smog, sandstorms days I'm afraid.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2011
    WiscoFrank wrote: »
    Nice shots .. in all the time I worked and lived in Beijing I bet I saw a dozen blue sky days. Saw many more yellow, smog, sandstorms days I'm afraid.

I bet! The clearest day while we were there was still worse than the smoggiest day in LA.
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2011
    Very cool images, thanks for sharing. Looks like a memorable trip.
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2011
    mr peas wrote: »
    Very cool images, thanks for sharing. Looks like a memorable trip.

Thanks! Certainly a memorable trip!
  • Options
    zentricksterzentrickster Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    Since last May I have spent 12 weeks in China (visiting my wife while we wait for immigration approval)

I was in Beijing last June and the weather was a polar opposite of what you experienced..headscratch.gif I was in Tianjin, Xi'an, Huangshan, Hufei and Beijing on the June trip...

Good choice going to Muntianyu portion of the great wall, for some reason most of the tour groups go to Badaling?

Time for me to buy another ticket... waiting for USCIS to process paperwork sucks... I miss my wife and stepson..
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2011
    Since last May I have spent 12 weeks in China (visiting my wife while we wait for immigration approval)

I was in Beijing last June and the weather was a polar opposite of what you experienced..headscratch.gif I was in Tianjin, Xi'an, Huangshan, Hufei and Beijing on the June trip...

Good choice going to Muntianyu portion of the great wall, for some reason most of the tour groups go to Badaling?

Time for me to buy another ticket... waiting for USCIS to process paperwork sucks... I miss my wife and stepson..

Good luck!
  • Options
    zentricksterzentrickster Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    A thread I posted with some shots I took in China last year...

hope you don't mind

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=174752&page=2

Not sure if this is improper etiquette... I posted some images previously remarkably similar to a few of your...

attachment.php?attachmentid=31722&stc=1&d=1286848975

Window frame in Forbidden City

attachment.php?attachmentid=31251&stc=1&d=1282542787

My wife and I in front of the Birds Nest...
  • Options
    keithinmelbournekeithinmelbourne Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2011
    Chris, you have caught some great shots there! We went to China in 2006 and were fortunate enough to have clear skies and very little haze. However, most of the monuments such as the Forbidden City were covered in scaffolding and hidden from view (still charged the same admission price, mind you). Your shots make me want to go back. Maybe some day.
    Keith

Mumon is right! "Every day is a good day!"

http://www.keithbroadphotography.com/
  • Options
    MacushlaMacushla Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2011
    I was in Beijing in April, we visited most of the same places. I took a ton of photos and I thought they were amazing until I saw yours. Now I'm jealous! You have a great eye. Thanks for sharing these. I think you did a great giving a taste of the city.
  • Options
    babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2011
    Great shots! It looks like you captured China well!
    If you don't mind, what were you using for your telephoto shots/walk around lens?
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2011
    Wow. Great post. Thanks for so much detail.
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2011
    Chris, you have caught some great shots there! We went to China in 2006 and were fortunate enough to have clear skies and very little haze. However, most of the monuments such as the Forbidden City were covered in scaffolding and hidden from view (still charged the same admission price, mind you). Your shots make me want to go back. Maybe some day.

Thanks! I imagine it would be a totally different experience with clear skies and little haze. Bummer about monuments and stuff being covered up, but I'm not surprised about you getting charged full admission. I didn't have a single transaction where someone wasn't trying to rip me off.
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2011
    A thread I posted with some shots I took in China last year...

hope you don't mind

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=174752&page=2

Not sure if this is improper etiquette... I posted some images previously remarkably similar to a few of your...

Right on! The wall was the best part of the trip. We never made it to the stadium. Although you wouldn't have been able to see it through the haze if I did get a photo of it!
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2011
    Macushla wrote: »
    I was in Beijing in April, we visited most of the same places. I took a ton of photos and I thought they were amazing until I saw yours. Now I'm jealous! You have a great eye. Thanks for sharing these. I think you did a great giving a taste of the city.

Thank you :D
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2011
    babowc wrote: »
    Great shots! It looks like you captured China well!
    If you don't mind, what were you using for your telephoto shots/walk around lens?

Thanks! I only took a handful of shots with my 70-200mm, and the same with my 11-16mm. Most days it was too hot to carry a backpack so I just took my 35mm and my Canon Powershot, which is what the majority of these were shot with.
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2011
    indiegirl wrote: »
    Wow. Great post. Thanks for so much detail.

Thanks!