Options

#79 Butterflies

MemolMemol Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
edited June 26, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Have been thinking about a few ideas for this challenge but haven't had a chance yet to execute any of them. That being said, we visited a butterfly pavilion last week, and I was thinking that if I don't get a chance to shoot specifically for this challenge, I go ahead and submit one of my better shots from this visit. And for that, I would greatly appreciate your comments on the following pictures. Any of them worthy of this challenge?

Thanks...

DSC3222-M.jpg
DSC3214-M.jpg
DSC3221-M.jpg
DSC3229-M.jpg
DSC3234-M.jpg
DSC3284-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    Nice shots! It will be easier to comment if they are numbered.

I really like the simplicity but uniqueness of the first one - nice DOF & focus; of the three monarchs, I really like the composition of the second & the third is nice also, the colors in each are very rich & pretty; the last two shots are nice but not as striking to me as the first ones.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2011
    Thanks a lot for your feedback. Just edited my post, and added numbers to the shots.

And yes, I myself like how the tiny caterpillar eggs came out in the first shot.
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    2, 3 and 4 are all very nice...that would be my order of liking as well
    Very nice colors and light
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    Very nice colorful shots!

I actually like more #4 because we can see better the wings, #3 for the composition and #2 also for the composition and for the little motion blur :)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    MLangtonMLangton Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    #4 then #6 in that order for me. Nice!
    More photo, less shop.

http://mlangton.smugmug.com
  • Options
    rbustraenrbustraen Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    #4 works for me, nice details, DOF, and composure.
    - Randy

Photo Of The Day & My SmugMug Gallery
    Canon 7D and not enough L glass....
  • Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    My favorite is #2, great composition and DOF. Also #6 is very nice - that looks like it might be a hard exposure to get and I think you pretty well nailed it. #4 is quite good as well, but I'm not as big a fan of the angle. #3 I think the wing tip is too close to the edge of the frame.
    edited June 24, 2011
    I think I'm going to be the odd one out here. :hide

I like #3. The closeness of the wing to the frame does not bother me. I am drawn to the body and to the beautiful red color on the wings. That's what makes the photo quite striking for me.

But my favorite is #1. The little red beetles look like little jewels on the green stem. The colors also contrast nicely with one another. That composition is so simple and very eye catching. It's also very unique with nice DOF.
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    I like 4 & 5 best of the butterfly shots. I think #1 would be my favorite if it were in a little closer. However, if the post were a larger size maybe it would be fine.
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2011
    Thanks a lot everyone for the comments... So far, there does not seem to be a clear consensus winner among these shots ne_nau.gif So to make my decision even harder, here are a couple more shots from the same visit; what do you think about these?

DSC3245-M.jpg

DSC3197-M.jpg

DSC3198-M.jpg

DSC3244-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2011
    BTW, the orange dots in #1 are tiny caterpillar eggs. They are very tiny and I was not able to go closer. I took their picture to print along the pictures of a caterpillar and a butterfly for my son. He has a book called The very hungry Caterpillar, but the drawings in that book are not clear.
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    3 and 4 for me!
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    anniemaxanniemax Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    I love abstract compositions, so #1 is my favorite; I think the bokeh behind the branch really works and draws my eye. I wondered what the little orange dots were - nice to know their eggs!
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2011
    Strawberry
    Ok, changing from butterflies to a strawberry... took a few high speed shots today... How do you like these? Should I stick with one of the butterfly shots or should I go with one of these? Would appreciate your feedback...

DSC3923-M.jpg

DSC3932-M.jpg

DSC3901-M.jpg
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2011
    Pretty cool! I still like the butterfly shots better though.
  • Options
    AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2011
    #4thumb.gif
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,945 moderator
    edited June 26, 2011
    I like 3, 10 and 4 - in that order. I love the shots of the strawberry as well but seem to remember a few shots like that in previous entry galleries (one with an orange, for sure) - probably before you started participating in the challenges. Not sure whether that would impact how people viewed a shot of the strawberry if you entered it, but thought I'd mention it. :)
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2011
    Of the strawberries, I like #11. I like the angle of entry and the point at which you captured it. I would probably like #12 better if the strawberry were in the same angle as in #11. Gretchen is right that similar shots have been entered in recent challenges, so you might take that into consideration. On the other hand, there have been sunsets and flowers in recent challenges, also.

I like the simplicity and flow of #1. I almost wish you were a little closer so the orange eggs were more prominent, but then you would lose the lovely curve.

Of the butterflies, I like #3 the best. The composition, DOF, and focus are excellent.

Good luck deciding which to enter. You have some really good options.