Auto Photography

jarboedoggartjarboedoggart Registered Users Posts: 270 Major grins
edited June 25, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
I have been doing a ton of work in the "people" department, but cars is why I bought a camera in the first place. Cars are my first love. Here is a shoot I did of a stunning Honda Accord last week. C&C is always encouraged!

49 PICTURES TOTAL CAN BE FOUND HERE: http://www.jarboedoggart.com/Special-Requests/61711-Bee/17612155_DXD6Tw#1341981811_d9TghHS

Here are some of my favorites...

IMG1451-L.jpg
IMG1386-L.jpg
IMG1405-L.jpg
IMG1513-L.jpg
IMG1525-L.jpg
-Nate
Jarboe Doggart Photography - jarboedoggart.com

Comments

• PeelerPeeler Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    Nice set! Well done.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    Hi Nate,

When shooting cars, you have to keep in mind the adage " the car is the star ". You have a nice subject here to work with but there are way too many extraneous elements included in these shots. Get in close to your subject.....fill the frame with the car. There are times, of course, when it might be appropriate to provide a broader scene surrounding the car but that is usually not the case. You don't want to give the " eye " a chance to wander to anything but the car.

It's good to see more car buffs active on the forum.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    Hi Nate,

When shooting cars, you have to keep in mind the adage " the car is the star ". You have a nice subject here to work with but there are way too many extraneous elements included in these shots. Get in close to your subject.....fill the frame with the car. There are times, of course, when it might be appropriate to provide a broader scene surrounding the car but that is usually not the case. You don't want to give the " eye " a chance to wander to anything but the car.

Tom

Agreed. A Honda Accord isn't enough of a "star" to stand out in wide shots like this. In the last shot , some might wonder why the photographer didn't wait for the car to be moved to take the shot.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • jarboedoggartjarboedoggart Registered Users Posts: 270 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    Hi Nate,

Thanks Tom! I appreciate the advice and the detailed response. Although I do have to disagree. The pictures posted above were MY 5 favorites out of a set of 50. I would never expect anyone to pick the SAME 5 pictures. Our eyes are all different, that is what makes this site so great.

To me, it is like photographing an animal in its natural habitat. I don't like taking pictures of people in front of a background either, I would much rather be in a park than a studio. So I guess it is just me, but the choice of backgrounds and how they were incorporated are 100% intentional.

Take a look through the 49 pics though, I think you will find pictures that fit your description better.

Tom

Definitely. I photograph mostly Hondas cause that was the scene I started in, but I have been lucky to branch out a bit lately. check out this link to see my "Auto Portfolio": http://www.jarboedoggart.com/Gallery/Autos/11496558_jReif#923658312_cF9px
    -Nate
    Jarboe Doggart Photography - jarboedoggart.com