D7000 metering issue?

jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
edited June 24, 2011 in Cameras
Hi all,

I've had my D7000 for a while now, replaced a stolen D80 with which I made some 30,000 photos. On my D80 I only ever had Nikkor lenses. Have also used D700 FX camera - so I'm familiar with Nikon cameras and DO know what I am doing! :wink

With my D7000 I bought a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 (non optical stabilised) and a 75-300 VR Nikkor.

Using matrix metering in Av mode, I've noticed that the metering is just screwed up... sometimes I need to use +1EV in a regular scene just to get close an average weighted... other times it has to be -0.7EV and obviously the +/- values vary wildly...

Before I send it off for 10days to get repaired (which I really can't afford to do as have a job in a week or so and then 2 weeks holidays...) just wanted to ask - could this somehow be related to the Tamron lens that i'm taking 95% of my photos with???

Seems to me that it should be independent of the Tamron lens... but thought I'd ask the collective dgrin wisdom.

thanks for any ideas/confirmation/etc.

Cheers
Jase

Comments

• time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    I dont have a D7000 but check if your Active D lighting is not set to auto, that may guess why you need to +/-

good luck
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    thanks for the suggestion but I'm shooting RAW only...
    unless i've screwed something up and it's affecting RAW photos too???
    and Active-D lighting would lighten the image right? I'm having problems mostly with under exposure...

as it's a relatively new camera i'm trying to assume that I know nothing and take each suggestion and think about it.... easier than sending it off for 10days!

cheers :)

edit: Active-D lighting was set to Normal (by default I guess) - have turned it off to see if that helps
    time2smile wrote: »
    I dont have a D7000 but check if your Active D lighting is not set to auto, that may guess why you need to +/-

good luck
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    10 Days that fast....

my understanding of active-D (may be wrong) it lightens shadows and darkens highlights.

but should not effect raw, raw is raw, no effects are added or removed, i have a the D90 and Tamron 28-75, i do not use it much but did notice i do + it a little more, but usually do jpg in manual and personally tend to go on the darker side.

soon some of the others will chime in, good luck
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 24, 2011
    If you could post some example images with full EXIF that might help with an explanation. Unless mounting the Tamron lens is producing inconsistent results even with the EC offset, indicating a problem with the aperture mechanism, I doubt that it is the issue. I can accept a single lens needing some consistent EC but variable EC is usually something else.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • areyoutheredanielareyoutheredaniel Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 24, 2011
    You may find Thom Hogan review of the d7000 helpful as he mentions that issue.
  • jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    You may find Thom Hogan review of the d7000 helpful as he mentions that issue.

i see him mentioning overexposure but i'm not really having that problem. Mine seems to be more underexposure than not... and sometimes it's spot on... it's got me a little confused... headscratch.gif