Options

Dilemma....

tropicotropico Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
edited June 26, 2011 in Weddings
I got an email requesting an offer for a wedding shoot in the beginning of September. I would love to give them an offer, because I do not have any other jobs this day.

But, I am pregnant and due in the end of September. I am not sure if I will be able to shoot when I am getting so close to my due date.

Should I just follow my heart and give them an offer, and if something happen just try to find a replacement if i get sick or give birth early? Or should I say that I am not able to do it because of the circumstances?

What would you do?
http://www.monicagarrett.com

Canon 5D MARK II, Canon EOS 450D
Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 18-55mm
Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 75-300mm, Tokina 10-24mm, Sigma 18-200mm

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    Disclaimer: I am a guy and I am not pregnant... rolleyes1.gif

If you are really set on doing this, be sure to find someone as a back up now. And work out the kinks now before it happens.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    I would tell them i would love to shoot the wedding but that zi am not able to due to he circumstances and make sure to do a public posting on your website so no one else tries to also you book you for that time.............maybe offer them an engagement shoot at a discount and that way good feelings and maybe some good word of mouth advertising for future weddings.......in my website post add a picture showing your pregnancy....just a thought.....I am male and have never had this to worry about........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    First off, congratulations on your baby!

Is this your first? Are you having an easy pregnancy? Do you know how you will feel in September? Will you be able to perform (move, shoot, etc) up to your non-pregnant ability?

I probably would pass on the job I were you (of course I've never been pregnant and never will be). I can't imagine that you will be physically able to move around as quickly/easily as you would if your were not pregnant. And as you mentioned, there may be other circumstances at the time that will prevent you from doing the wedding. Too much risk - I say enjoy your family and get the next one.
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    First off, congratulations on your baby!

Is this your first? Are you having an easy pregnancy? Do you know how you will feel in September? Will you be able to perform (move, shoot, etc) up to your non-pregnant ability?

I probably would pass on the job I were you (of course I've never been pregnant and never will be). I can't imagine that you will be physically able to move around as quickly/easily as you would if your were not pregnant. And as you mentioned, there may be other circumstances at the time that will prevent you from doing the wedding. Too much risk - I say enjoy your family and get the next one.

+1 and that coming from an already-mommy. I shot my last wedding 02/13 and got my baby 03/27. Guaranteed, it was a destination wedding (running on the sand while pregnant is more exhausting that one could imagine), and I was never willing to cancel that wedding as I already knew that family and I was looking forward to it before we even got pregnant. BUT I'd not book a wedding up to 2 months before my due date + at least 3 months after. It's almost impossible to work in the first couple of months anyway, and would it be really worth to you, to take away baby time?

I'd not do it, it's WAY too close ... you'll book more weddings, it's not worth it. thumb.gif
  • Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    I shot a wedding 5 days before having my first son and one month after my second. I also did an engagement session the day before having my second son :) Really, you have to do what is comfortable for you. I had all the same questions when pregnant for the first time. My second is 4 months now and I am trying to do two weddings max a month. The post work is the hard part, not the actual wedding day.

The wedding i shot right before my first was a friend, so we had arrangements ahead of time if i couldn't make it. You have to be 100% upfront with the client and tell them the anything can happen story. I was 2 weeks early with my first and 3 weeks early with my second. My sister in law just had a baby 5 weeks early, so really anything can happen!

If you do book the wedding be prepared for rude remarks by the guest... WOW are you going to have that baby right hear on the dance floor or are you having twins...typical statements to a women when she is in her last trimester of pregnancy.

Enjoy your baby! and contrats.
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    tropicotropico Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2011
    Thank you all for your advice.

After shooting a wedding yesterday, and feeling pain when i was done, I decided that i would not give them an offer.
    I don't want to risk anything.
    I told them I really would love to do the job, but it would be to risky because of my pregnancy. They fully understood, so it is all well.
    http://www.monicagarrett.com

Canon 5D MARK II, Canon EOS 450D
    Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 18-55mm
    Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 75-300mm, Tokina 10-24mm, Sigma 18-200mm
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2011
    tropico wrote: »
    Thank you all for your advice.

After shooting a wedding yesterday, and feeling pain when i was done, I decided that i would not give them an offer.
    I don't want to risk anything.
    I told them I really would love to do the job, but it would be to risky because of my pregnancy. They fully understood, so it is all well.

Good call! thumb.gif
  • Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2011
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    Good call! thumb.gif

Agreed... especially with your first. With your second you will be moving furniture on your own, eating unpasteurized cheese and hiking mountains to try to get him or her out. Just kidding! Have a great and uneventful pregnancy.
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2011
    Agreed... especially with your first. With your second you will be moving furniture on your own, eating unpasteurized cheese and hiking mountains to try to get him or her out. Just kidding! Have a great and uneventful pregnancy.

Baha! rolleyes1.gif