Options

New Blog Header Image

Mark1616Mark1616 Registered Users Posts: 319 Major grins
edited June 27, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
I've just decided to update the header image on my blog and would like to get your thoughts on it. Does it do the job, would you like to see anything changed etc? How do you think non-photographers would look at this, will they stay and read or move on?

Mark Smith Photography Blog

I'm here to learn so please feel free to give me constructive criticism to help me become the photographer I desire to be.

Comments

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    In your post you say the old format wasn't "weddingy enough", how are the addition of the babies in the header image adding that wedding feeling? It seems odd to have a really nice bride-groom shot, mixed with all the babies.

Other than that, the colors are fine, easy enough to navigate, and seems clear and easy to follow.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2011
    Ah, I meant the old blog style what was black background rather than the new white background one rather than the header image. Sorry for the confusion on that might reword the blog post.

I'm here to learn so please feel free to give me constructive criticism to help me become the photographer I desire to be.

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    This image really seems odd. Granted, content is what keeps people coming back not the header image, but for what it is worth, I think the original image made more sense. If you are going to keep the new image, at least make all the baby images the same height. The different heights are really distracting.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,270 moderator
    edited June 25, 2011
    The new image doesn't work for me at all. Your old image had a classy look. The new is pretty much a jumble - my eyes see the babies and do not see the couple. The focus on weddings is totally gone.

--- Denise
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    Mark1616 wrote: »
    Does it do the job ...?
    IMHO it's a mess - too busy, too confusing.

Toss the babies, all of them, and the blue wording. Go back to your original! :D
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2011
    Having heard the different thoughts, how about one of the two attached images, do they work better than those on the blog currently or still something else to do improve?

Header%20White%20to%20Baby.jpg

Header%20Black%20to%20Baby.jpg

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,270 moderator
    edited June 26, 2011
    Of the two I think the first one is better - but neither really works. It feels like the two halves of the image don't belong together.

--- Denise
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2011
    Mark1616 wrote: »
    ... how about one of the two attached images, do they work better than those on the blog currently ...?
    No! :nono
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,462 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    No! :nono

+1.

Looks like you also do portraits, events and sports? Why do you have to use images on your header?