Options

#79 -- Flies or Fruits

CambysesCambyses Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
edited June 27, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Got some time today to take a few shots with our newly acquired macro lens. Do you find any of them good enough for this challenge?

DSC3968-M.jpg

DSC3954-M.jpg

3. Yummy Kiwi
DSC4007-M.jpg

4. Yummy Strawberry
DSC4017-M.jpg

5. Yummy Orange
DSC4026-M.jpg

6. Yummy Blood Orange
DSC4016-M.jpg

7. Yummy Fig
DSC4022-M.jpg

8. Yummy Lychee
DSC4012-M.jpg

9. Yummy Rambutan
DSC4020-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2011
    I like #1, #3, and #4 best. Here's a thought, take a slice of that Kiwi and back light it with strobe.
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2011
    dlscott56 wrote: »
    I like #1, #3, and #4 best. Here's a thought, take a slice of that Kiwi and back light it with strobe.

Thanks Dave for the comment. Good suggestion on back lighting the Kiwi. I'll try that if I get a chance. The challenge though may be how I position a tiny slice of Kiwi such that a strobe can be placed behind it.
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2011
    Cambyses wrote: »
    Thanks Dave for the comment. Good suggestion on back lighting the Kiwi. I'll try that if I get a chance. The challenge though may be how I position a tiny slice of Kiwi such that a strobe can be placed behind it.
    Translucent cutting board, white paper plate, etc. Just a thought.
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2011
    Love the kiwi shot! Definitely try the strobe idea with it!!!!
  • Options
    Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2011
    This totally makes me never want to eat a fig in my life and I don't know what a rambutan is but I don't think I want to eat that either.
    The kiwi and the blood orange look cool though, I'm leaning towards the blood orange.
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,946 moderator
    edited June 26, 2011
    15524779-Ti.gif that the kiwi or blood orange would be good choices!
  • Options
    AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2011
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2011
    This totally makes me never want to eat a fig in my life and I don't know what a rambutan is but I don't think I want to eat that either.

Tell me about it :D I had a hard time even eating the strawberry after I noticed the tiny "stuff" on it! I guess some things are just better kept at distance :D

As for Rambutan, it tastes a bit like Lychee. Here is the info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rambutan
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2011
    Here is the backlit Kiwi as Dave suggested:

DSC4047-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2011
    I doubt I will have any more time to shoot for this challenge. I think my choices are now narrowed down to 1, 3, 6, or 10, and I would appreciate your feedback as to which one I should submit.

In #1, I like the bright tiny fly, and how the leave edges seem to pop up emphasizing DoF. As for the Kiwi shots, #3 shows a bit more detail of Kiwi flesh whereas #10 seems a bit more abstract. Not sure which one will get more votes as it is probably a matter of taste. And finally, I like blood orange in #6 too. But I am a bit concerned that it may not be as eye appeasing mwink.gif
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2011
    I like the first kiwi better than the second. I like the color better.

I also like the orange and the blood orange. I like the comp better in the blood orange.

The fly shots are not doing it for me. Now that you have a macro lens, you should check out the macro forum. Lots of good technique there. I am aching to get a macro lens, but I think I need a better camera first. :D

I think overall, I would choose #3 and then #6.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2011
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    I like the first kiwi better than the second. I like the color better.

I also like the orange and the blood orange. I like the comp better in the blood orange.

The fly shots are not doing it for me. Now that you have a macro lens, you should check out the macro forum. Lots of good technique there. I am aching to get a macro lens, but I think I need a better camera first. :D

I think overall, I would choose #3 and then #6.

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

Yes, I do check various macro forums. On Dgrin, I am always amazed at LordV's macro shots. Trouble is for the size of the fly shown in #1, a normal 1:1 macro lens wouldn't cut it (I have already taken #1 at max 1:1 magnification). I would need a much larger magnification for which I would have to either use extension tubes, or reverse a lens, or perhaps both. And that is a bit inconvenient (This is one area where I envy Canon users for their MP-E 65mm 1-5x lens, and wish Nikon had a similar lens). Besides, I would likely have to focus stack multiple shots to deal with the sub-mm DoF, and so it wouldn't qualify for SOOC.

Anyway, I think I am leaning to #3 but still would appreciate more feedback.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2011
    Cambyses wrote: »
    Here is the backlit Kiwi as Dave suggested:

If only you could make some minor adjustments! Darn. Well it looks a little washed out. I like the first one better. Also like your Lego people photo but think the original kiwi shot is better. Just my opinion though. Good luck to you, which ever one you choose.