New Scam Directed at Photographers

TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
edited June 29, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
I received the following email the other day. It made me laugh reading the typos but I know that people seriously fall for these things so I thought I would post it. If someone else already has posted this, sorry for the double post; however; we can't be too careful. What I found interesting is that it is the first scam I've seen directly targeting photographers, not just offering free money. If it was crafted a little better, it would certainly be close to believable.

"Hello,
My name is Jason Clay, Am a free-lance modelling agent.I'm a very fashion orientated person with an eye for the more creative and artistic shoots out there,I came across your profile via surfing the net, and i would love us to work together as i am impressed with what i saw.i have been assigned a job which comes up in july 2011.
We are happy to inform you that you are one of the few photographer chosen out of the screening exercise performed for us.you have got the necessary Requirement we need for our Magazine update Scope Magazine.com We will arrange and pay for your photo section,we also want to help you in expanding your portfolio,It is you we need.

JOB DETAILS:
You have 5 different models and Fashion outfits to cover, outfit will be provided by our designer on the day of the shooting and the shoot is just for 2 days and you will be paid 3,000dollars for the whole project, the Job is Urgent so you are to get back to us as soon as possible so that we can arrange on how to get you the part payment, and meet other crew members.You would be paid the initial payment of 500dollars to guarantee your participation as a photographer, as part of our working policy and ethics of our company, we give part payment to any client before we proceed with any job and balance immediately after the work.The company decided to pair you up with the rest of the team, Make-Up,hair stylist they're busy traveling around the States doing Make-Up for some top models as regards to their portfolio; they work on contract basis for us, also you will be getting the check as soon as possible through mail....which will contain all you need to know about the shoot,invitation and list and contact of every member of the team working on this project As I told you earlier this project is very urgent we will be taking care of your payment, accommodation and other expenses. The part payment would be mailed directly to you along side with the models cloth allowance, shoes and costume fee for the shoot,the shoot will take place on 14th and 15th of july at a rented studio near you.For any further question you can ask me directly through my mail.

NOTE:TERMS AND PAYMENT CONDITION
As soon as you get the payment, you will deduct 500dollars as your part payment and wire the remaining balance to the supervisor.The supervisor will contact you as soon as he receives all your information from us,if you are interested kindly get back to us with your details as follows:

PHOTOGRAPHER'S INFORMATION

1. Name:_____________________________________________
2. Age _____________________________________________
3. Studio name (optional):________________________________
4. Years of experience:__________________________________
5. Phone no:_____________________________________________
6. Address:_____________________________________________
7. Cities:_____________________________________________
8. State:_____________________________________________
9. Zip Code:_____________________________________________

Also include the names of any other modeling sites you paste your details..........

PAYMENT INFORMATION

1. Name on check:
REQUIRED EQUIPMENT:

I hereby represent and warrant that the above information is true and Kindly know that PO Box is not applicable.
www.scopemagazine.com

Thanks

jason"

Comments

• Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2011
    Wow that's an incredible level of detail for a scam email. They're getting crafty.
  • GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2011
    As far as i'm concerned, anyone that falls for this crap these days is merely payng for a cheap lesson in due dilligence and common sense.

So9mething like this will serve them well as a wakeup call before they get sucked into something that will cost them their house or other financial ruin.

It's like the people that cry foul when they get ripped off after trying to claim money on one of these scams from a lottery they never entered.

Cheap wake up call and lesson in life I say.
  • orljustinorljustin Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2011
    Same old "Here's $X - keep $Y for yourself and send the rest on" scam.
  • PRW_PhotoPRW_Photo Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    A few years ago we used to get something similar for a wedding assignment...

Paul Wossidlo
    www.PaulRichardWossidlo.com