light falloff, vignetting

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited March 12, 2006 in Cameras
lots of debate on those "other" fora, about whether to call it "light falloff" or "vignetting." either way, it's when you get dark corners in your shots. can be caused by a filter, hood, other obstruction on the front end of your lens, or, as full-frame sensor camera owners (and those who remember shooting 35mm film) know, it can happen in the camera, too. has to do with the ability of the sensor to grab that light at the far reaches of the nether regions (the corners!)... many folks see it and wonder - oh! something's wrong with my (lens..camera...filter...hood...pic one)! not true! it's totally normal and natural, and climb down off of that ledge now, ok? :lol3

this is easily fixed in the following ways:

crop factor bodies: use slim filters if you're getting this. easily corrected in adobe camera raw (acr) if you use ps cs.

full frame bodies: stop down a tad if you can. the attached graphic shows the difference in just a little bit of stopping down.

any camera: remember, it's easily dealt with in post-processing!

(animated gif - rutt, davidto, you guys will have to allow animations in your browser to see it :evil)

39274216-L.gif

finally - please remember one thing: vignetting will always look worse in a test situation than in normal shooting! many times, depending on scene, you may not even notice it.

Comments

• docbelldocbell Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2005
    Vignetting, how about ghosting??
    Thanx for the info on vignetting, Andy. I also hear about 'ghosting' quite a bit. I recently took these moon shots, and was wondering if the extra refelection of the moon is ghosting.
    If so: 1) is there anything i can do to avoid/limit it?
    2) is this a reflection on the quality of hte lens? (these were shot with the new sigma 80-400 OS, which has the new DG feature, which is suppose to help with ghosting).
    Thanx for the info, Kevin.

39290286-S.jpg

39290289-S.jpg
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2005
    docbell wrote:
    Thanx for the info on vignetting, Andy. I also hear about 'ghosting' quite a bit. I recently took these moon shots, and was wondering if the extra refelection of the moon is ghosting.
    If so: 1) is there anything i can do to avoid/limit it?
    2) is this a reflection on the quality of hte lens? (these were shot with the new sigma 80-400 OS, which has the new DG feature, which is suppose to help with ghosting).
    Thanx for the info, Kevin.

quite possibly - yeah - ghosting - it's that time of yearlol3.gif

were you using a filter of any kind? ear.gif
  • BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    this is easily fixed in the following ways:

crop factor bodies: use slim filters if you're getting this. easily corrected in adobe camera raw (acr) if you use ps cs.

full frame bodies: stop down a tad if you can. the attached graphic shows the difference in just a little bit of stopping down.

any camera: remember, it's easily dealt with in post-processing!

I get vignetting on occasion when I'm pushing my 200mm/f1.8 to its limits, and past, in dark sporting environments which require me to keep the shutter speed up to stop action. Stopping down is not possible. My thinking is it's b/c of the mammoth hood. However I keep the hood on to protect the lens (I'd rather have the occational dark edged photo than a baseball inside my lens).

Anyway - I'm shooting jpeg's, because of the volume of shots, and process in PSCS. Could you describe your processing technique to remove vignetting for both raw and jpeg's?
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
    edited March 7, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    I
    Anyway - I'm shooting jpeg's, because of the volume of shots, and process in PSCS. Could you describe your processing technique to remove vignetting for both raw and jpeg's?

In Raw it's a cinch, ACR has a vignetting slider, it's just a matter of moving it. Takes about 5 seconds. A bit harder for a jpg, let me investigate. Stay tuned.

In PS CS2, for a jpeg:
    Filter>Distort>Lens Correction>Vignetting
  • flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    I get vignetting on occasion when I'm pushing my 200mm/f1.8 to its limits, and past, in dark sporting environments which require me to keep the shutter speed up to stop action. Stopping down is not possible. My thinking is it's b/c of the mammoth hood. However I keep the hood on to protect the lens (I'd rather have the occational dark edged photo than a baseball inside my lens).

If you're using Nikon Capture, it can automatically fix the vignetting for you. I think it reads the lens used and your camera model (and maybe some other data) from the EXIF and fixes it.
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
    edited March 7, 2006
    If you're using Nikon Capture, it can automatically fix the vignetting for you. I think it reads the lens used and your camera model (and maybe some other data) from the EXIF and fixes it.

That sounds great but I'm in the Canon world.

Thanks for the reply.
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    Could you describe your processing technique to remove vignetting for both raw and jpeg's?
    There is a discussion a technique in the Photoshop CS2 Book for Digital Photographers, Scott Kelby, pg231
    edited March 7, 2006
    There is a discussion a technique in the Photoshop CS2 Book for Digital Photographers, Scott Kelby, pg231

Which is on our review site!

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1093805
    edited March 7, 2006
    Any hints about the technique?
    Greg
    edited March 12, 2006
    I have the Kelby cs book and the vignette topic is for adding it to photos not removal. Is this the same in the cs2 book?
    Greg
    edited March 12, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    I have the Kelby cs book and the vignette topic is for adding it to photos not removal. Is this the same in the cs2 book?

Bod, I use ACR will automagically fixy the vignetting for you... have you tried that?
    edited March 12, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    It must me different. In the CS2 book, the problem description is "Problem Three: Lens Vignetting". At the bottom of the page, there is the before image with dark corners. In the after, the dark corners are GONEthumb.gif

CS2 has a new filter. You get to it through Filter | Distort | Lens Correction.

It seem to work on only in files w/o layers.
    edited March 12, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Bod, I use ACR will automagically fixy the vignetting for you... have you tried that?
    Doesn't that only apply to raw images?
    I'm looking at jpeg's now.
    Greg
    edited March 12, 2006
    It must me different. In the CS2 book, the problem description is "Problem Three: Lens Vignetting". At the bottom of the page, there is the before image with dark corners. In the after, the dark corners are GONEthumb.gif

CS2 has a new filter. You get to it through Filter | Distort | Lens Correction.

It seem to work on only in files w/o layers.
    Thanks for looking, I may need to upgrage books.

I've just upgraded to PSCS2 so I'll check that out.
    Greg
    edited March 12, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    Thanks for looking, I may need to upgrage books.

I've just upgraded to PSCS2 so I'll check that out.
    Not a problem. When I saw your response to my post, I almost had a heart attack. I don't like to put out gross errors. So, when I saw your post, I quickly grabbed the book and looked it up again. Then, I spun up CS2 and verified what the book said. Yep, all there. Made me feel better too.:):
  • JamokeJamoke Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    Newbie Realization
    Hey - Awesome Tips/Comments/Example!!!

I've been taking some pictures on my 5D, and have experienced Crazy Vignetting/Fall off and have had a nightmare in post processing. But Seeing that example made me realize what i hadn't had to deal with before.

(Admitting you have a problem is the first step) - I was doing everything wrong. I had a fatty circular polarizer on the end of the lens, and was shooting at 2.8 (Max for the lens). And then I was complaining in post processinig because I thought the lens/body combo was screwy. Thanx though, you saved my lens from a pre-mature sell.
    Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
    Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
    Ours: Pair of 580 EX, Lensbaby, Studio Alien Bees, Son & TWO Daughters