Mime

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
edited June 30, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
i-R5FmJ3f-XL.jpg

C&C always welcome.

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    Very interesting scene. Is this the final resting place for this gentleman, or is he waiting to be placed somewhere else? I'm glad you went with color in this case. Without the strong contrast in his color, the man would have tended to blend in too much with conflicting elements.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • konomaniackonomaniac Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    Nice shot - my immediate thoughts:

1) I like the way you isolated the shot so it looks like the boy is the only one paying attention.

2) If I tried to do that, I'd fall on my backside.

3) Judging by the boy's shirt, I might need him for my birdfeederrolleyes1.gif
    --- Kono ---
    Pentax K-x and assorted lenses
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    I love this kind of busking! Looks like he is quite comfortable despite the effort of that pose! thumb.gif

Makes me wonder if he's using some hidden help! eek7.gifheadscratch.gifne_nau.gif

clap.gifclapclap.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited June 27, 2011
    Thanks for commenting, guys. thumb.gif

@Tom: absolutely correct about using color--though I did use a B&W conversion in luminosity mode to adjust the contrast in the color version.
    @Kono: most people in big cities seem to ignore the strangest sights; the exceptions seem to be the very young and the very old.
    @Don: I assume there's some hidden iron involved. That or an anti-gravity device in his back pocket. lol3.gif
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2011
    Ya already got the thoughtful cc comments. All good points along with
    fun humor both ways :D Neat pic Richard thumb.gif
    Since getting to enjoy your image I tried to find his sitting trick method since it is so cool as pictured. No luck finding it. Google has been kinda strange lately for finding things. Did get to take in other street artist pics from Spain,
    which there seems to be one heck of a lot doing different talented things bowdown.gif
    Michael
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,890 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    Thanks for commenting, guys. thumb.gif

@Tom: absolutely correct about using color--though I did use a B&W conversion in luminosity mode to adjust the contrast in the color version.
    @Kono: most people in big cities seem to ignore the strangest sights; the exceptions seem to be the very young and the very old.
    @Don: I assume there's some hidden iron involved. That or an anti-gravity device in his back pocket. lol3.gif

I vote for the anti-gravity device...
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2011
    The boy was really intrigued. Now, that's why I can call awesome street photography! :Dthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifclap.gifclapclap.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2011
    Very cool.... eek7.gif How he do that?

Folks commenting on this vid think it's done with some sort of chair under his clothing. headscratch.gif
    http://www.snotr.com/video/4575/Sitting_down_without_a_chair#player
    edited June 29, 2011
    Thanks for commenting, guys. thumb.gif I think David is correct. I'm guessing that there must be an iron bar connected to the base and running through the boot, which must be oversized, then up the pants leg and forming a chair under his butt. I've seen that guy several times in my neighborhood. With luck, at some point I'll get to see him setting up his act. I'll report back if I do.
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    It's very intriguing. Good one.

"...though I did use a B&W conversion in luminosity mode to adjust the contrast in the color version." I thought I invented that and was the only person in the world who did it. :D

Don
    edited June 29, 2011
    Cornflake wrote: »
    I thought I invented that and was the only person in the world who did it. :D

Don
    Lots of people invented it after they read Professional Photoshop, fifth edition, by Dan Margolis. rolleyes1.gif But I think we probably all do our own variations on the theme. thumb.gif

Edit: I had read Dan's book, but I only started using the technique after I saw an extensive exhibit of Helen Levitt's work and tried to figure out why her color pics were so good. It was the contrast.
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    There are a couple of YouTube videos of a mime in Madrid in
    gold costumes. One of the mime sweeping and one of the
    mime sleeping. Both move if someone puts something in the
    tip jar. Google "Madrid Mime".
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    I really like this thumb.gif

If this guy has all that stuff up his leg and in the seat of his pants .. how does he ever stand up? Waits till everyone goes home?
    edited June 30, 2011
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    There are a couple of YouTube videos of a mime in Madrid in
    gold costumes. One of the mime sweeping and one of the
    mime sleeping. Both move if someone puts something in the
    tip jar. Google "Madrid Mime".
    There are many here, some quite good. Sadly, as soon as someone comes up with something really original, other simply copy the idea. But I haven't seen more than one like this guy, though David's video link shows that the idea has spread. Maybe that's where this guy learned it.
    Dogdots wrote: »
    I really like this thumb.gif

If this guy has all that stuff up his leg and in the seat of his pants .. how does he ever stand up? Waits till everyone goes home?
    More important, how does he deal with bathroom breaks? mwink.gif
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    More important, how does he deal with bathroom breaks? mwink.gif

Depends :D