South Rim, Grand Canyon

stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
edited July 1, 2011 in Landscapes
Been a busy spring and finally getting a chance to process all the images from our Southwest trip in late March, early April.

Here are just the ones from the Grand Canyon. We camped 2 nights at the South Rim. Days were nice, nights were cold. Not to crowded yet which made for an enjoyable trip. This was our honeymoon trip (belated just a bit as we got married in December) but did manage some sunset/dusk shots. All shot on my first DSLR, a Canon 350d. Both my 5d and 20d were in for repair work at Canon. Did shoot some film as well, may add those to this thread at a later time.

One thing we first noticed upon arriving was the vastness of it all. This place is HUGE! Attempting to capture on film/sensor the magnitude of it was a futile attempt. One must visit to really gather a sense of the space involved. We did an all day hike down into the valley and still only made it halfway (or less) down.

#1 Just for scale, included an overlook crowded with tourists
i-T4jCvPb-XL.jpg

#2 sun sets on the south rim
i-LbhMDwp-XL.jpg

#3 dusk
i-PSnZ46b-XL.jpg

#4 our hike down on day 2
i-6BRk8QX-XL.jpg

#5 night 2 dusk
i-CtPRmcv-XL.jpg

i-pcmbCT6-XL.jpg

i-MSwLCxT-XL.jpg

So many to choose from, just a sampling from that 2 night/3 day trip. Up next will by Zion and Bryce.

-Jon

Comments

• joe-bobjoe-bob Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    I visited the north rim 5 years ago and had a similar experience when I first saw it - my jaw fell open at the shear scale of it all.
    These are great shots.
  • stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    joe-bob wrote: »
    I visited the north rim 5 years ago and had a similar experience when I first saw it - my jaw fell open at the shear scale of it all.
    These are great shots.

Thanks!

Yeah, can't even describe the vastness and grandeur of it all.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2011
    I really like the shadows and light in #2, I would have been tempted to zoom in a bunch (> 200mm) to just isolate that part, it would have lost some of the sense of scale but made for an interesting abstract. Similarly there's a nice S-curve in #5 that might have been good to isolate with a long lens although I like the comp as-is on that one.
    edited July 1, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback Ron, I appreciate it.

In reference to #5, does this work better?

i-Dxb8m6q-XL.jpg

I had edited this but not uploaded to my website.
  • Mathieu05Mathieu05 Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2011
    I like #5 as well... really nice!
    Chris Odchigue | Photography

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.”
    edited July 1, 2011
    Mathieu05 wrote: »
    I like #5 as well... really nice!

Thank you :)