Along Yosemite's Tioga Road…

ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
edited June 30, 2011 in Landscapes
My youngest just graduated high school which means we had family visiting from out of state to help celebrate. Some of them stuck around after graduation and were fortunate to catch the late opening of Tioga Road last weekend. We zipped through Tioga Pass, grabbed lunch at the Whoa Nellie Deli (where Tioga Road hits Mono Lake), spent the afternoon at Bodie, then came home via Sonora Pass. There was an epic sunset that night but I was driving through Sonora by then and didn't capture it.

As I was the day's driver and we were covering a lot of ground, there were fairly limited opportunities to get out and shoot. So, I headed back a few days later on my own (sans epic sunset alas).

Here are a handful of shots worth sharing from along Tioga Road. I'm still working up the decent Bodie Shots so they'll get their own thread later.

First up, looking east across Tenaya Lake three days after Tioga Road opened:

DSC0247-L.jpg

#2, looking west across Tenaya Lake from the same spot as #1:

DSC0238-L.jpg

#3 is essentially #2 taken on opening day (three days earlier) showing how quickly things change up there…if you want to catch the ice, you can't count on it being there a few days later:

DSC0123-XL.jpg

#4, Lembert Dome reflected in a pool of melted snow along the trail from Soda Springs to the Dog Lake parking area:

LembertDomeJune2011-XL.jpg

The time spent with family was well worth missing the epic sunset of course (but dang, it was a truly world-class sunset) :D

Comments