CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
edited June 28, 2011 in Landscapes
Criticism is always appreciated.

Don

Flowing-rock-bw-4th-900x900.jpg

Comments

• rbtrbt Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    I like what you've done here - it has a surreal quality to it.
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    Thanks, rbt.
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    really nice B/W conversion you have done. The sky also looks fantastic. I love the "s" curves et al of the rocks. I don't know if this would have been possible or if it would have made a better composition but I might have tried to move in closer (a few inches) and forward towards this "S" curves so the eye is lead directly out to the background mountian and sky. Love what you have done with the shot as is though.
    edited June 28, 2011
    Thanks, Doug. I didn't have the leeway to get any closer.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 28, 2011
    I agree, a very dramatic conversion, great detail and sharpness, and overall a great scene!

Minor comments: 1) I wish the clouds were a bit whiter, they come up as mostly gray, maybe they were? and 2) I find myself leaning a bit to the left.

Also, always curious, where is this?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited June 28, 2011
    Erik, thanks for the comments. This was taken last month at Canyon de Chelly on the trail to White House Ruin.
  • willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2011
    Nice b&w, plate tectonics in action.
    It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2011
  • red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2011
    really nice texture on the rock, and quite an impact with the photo. Spending some more time with it though, I also feel myself leaning to the left to try to "straighten" the horizon (e.g. the top of the cliff on upper right) whether it was actually level or not. That, and I keep wanting to see more of the rock on the lower right, where it gets really "swoopy".
    Do you have any more from similar perspectives?
    Very good
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Criticism is always appreciated.

Don

Flowing-rock-bw-4th-900x900.jpg

And all the good remarks is all I can say! lol Your photo is not good but definitely SUPERB, AWE-INSPIRING! :) How did you end up with this perfect shot? You're a clever cornflake Imma say! clap.gif
    edited June 28, 2011
    "Nice b&w, plate tectonics in action."

Thanks, willard. I never took geology so I'll take your word for it. :)

"Nice abstract image. I like the conversion."

Thanks, Mike.

"I also feel myself leaning to the left to try to 'straighten' the horizon (e.g. the top of the cliff on upper right) whether it was actually level or not....Do you have any more from similar perspectives?"

red zone, I think the leaning feeling comes from distortion. It was a wide-angle lens and I suspect it was tilted. I'll give some thought to whether it bothers me and, if so, what if anything can be done about it. I don't have any others from a similar perspective.

johnbriner, thanks very much. Criticism is genuinely welcome but so are kind words.