Need advice on print prices

berhimwichberhimwich Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited July 18, 2004 in Mind Your Own Business
My Smugmug site receives a lot of traffic but I haven't sold any prints. It may be because the prices for the prints are too high. I have been told they are reasonable but by rather affluent people. So here's the lowdown: I charge $5 for a 4x6", $7.50 for a 5x7", and $25 for an 8x10". I think when people see I charge $25 for an 8x10", they close their wallets! Maybe I should make an 8x10" $10? If anybody has any advice, it would be much appreciated. Thank you very much!

Comments

• mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2004
    Pricing
    berhimwich wrote:
    My Smugmug site receives a lot of traffic but I haven't sold any prints. It may be because the prices for the prints are too high. I have been told they are reasonable but by rather affluent people. So here's the lowdown: I charge $5 for a 4x6", $7.50 for a 5x7", and $25 for an 8x10". I think when people see I charge $25 for an 8x10", they close their wallets! Maybe I should make an 8x10" $10? If anybody has any advice, it would be much appreciated. Thank you very much!

I'm grappling with pricing, too. I chose the following: $5 for 4x6, $10 for 5x7, $20 for 8x12, $30 for 11x14, and $60 for 20x30. I figured $5 was the least I wanted someone to pay, for completely arbitrary reasons. The 8x12 price I got a rough feel for what other photographers I've seen ask for, such as at some of the races I've been to. I seem to be cheaper than others on the poster size, but how often do people buy those? I might be cheap on that.

I think $25 for an 8x10 would be high, but $10 is too low. I'd try $15-17?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • berhimwichberhimwich Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2004
    Changed my prices and sizes
    I changed my price for an 8x10 (which I found out is actually an 8.5x11) to $10. I know it's low but I get so much traffic that I think this will compensate for the price. Also, I got rid of some of my rather unusually large sizes and replaced them with a 11x14 option for $15.

You were very helpful!
    mercphoto wrote:
    I'm grappling with pricing, too. I chose the following: $5 for 4x6, $10 for 5x7, $20 for 8x12, $30 for 11x14, and $60 for 20x30. I figured $5 was the least I wanted someone to pay, for completely arbitrary reasons. The 8x12 price I got a rough feel for what other photographers I've seen ask for, such as at some of the races I've been to. I seem to be cheaper than others on the poster size, but how often do people buy those? I might be cheap on that.

I think $25 for an 8x10 would be high, but $10 is too low. I'd try $15-17?
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2004
    Hey ber, a question not related to prices. Are you getting your subjects to sign releases? Was it expensive to get a lawyer to draw up a form?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited July 17, 2004
    I don't have my subjects sign releases
    I just photograph my subjects without having them sign releases. Robert Frank and Henri Cartier-Bresson never did, so I think to myself, why should I? Basically, photographers have become soft and they are worried about being sued. But, really, someone seeing a picture of their sister, uncle, friend, etc. on the Internet is good publicity.
    wxwax wrote:
    Hey ber, a question not related to prices. Are you getting your subjects to sign releases? Was it expensive to get a lawyer to draw up a form?
  • dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2004
    berhimwich wrote:
    I just photograph my subjects without having them sign releases. Robert Frank and Henri Cartier-Bresson never did, so I think to myself, why should I? Basically, photographers have become soft and they are worried about being sued. But, really, someone seeing a picture of their sister, uncle, friend, etc. on the Internet is good publicity.

A lot has changed since the 1930's.

Dave
    edited July 18, 2004
    I disagree
    The innocence of taking a candid picture of someone should not be lost because of the time we live in. That is just ridiculous! If people want to sue me, let them eat cake! I have to stand by my principles.
    dkapp wrote:
    A lot has changed since the 1930's.

Dave
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2004
    Model releases
    wxwax wrote:
    Sid, There are lots of different stock release forms available on the internet for free. I found more than enough with a simple google search. some are more pertinent to one area of photography or another, but generally the same.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
    edited July 18, 2004
    Everybody should choose their own route
    Well, maybe I was too critical. I mean, I choose not to have people sign releases but you have to understand the circumstances. I have been going to the place where I shoot pictures for about a year and half. Basically, I am like family and even to the strangers, I must seem like part of the woodwork.

If you feel more comfortable with having people sign releases, I fully understand. I am sorry if I came across as perhaps a bit simple-minded. I'm a bit of a "bad ass," so I'm sort of into breaking the rules (that doesn't mean breaking the law, Laughing.gif!). This certainly isn't for everybody. But if you met me, the last thing you'd expect is for me to carry an envelope full of releases.

Anyways, good luck to you in finding people willing to sign the forms.
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Sid, There are lots of different stock release forms available on the internet for free. I found more than enough with a simple google search. some are more pertinent to one area of photography or another, but generally the same.
    edited July 18, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:

thumb.gif Thanks, tml.

ber, the deal is that the release protects you. Without a release, the law's on their side, not yours, should anyone decide to get stroppy.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited July 18, 2004
    You have to understand the situation
    I love talking to you, we have different opinions but we get along. I like that! Well, you see, I photograph at a place called Sam's Burger Joint. Most people there are well below middle class. The chances of being sued are nihl. Even if you took a candid shot of an affluent person (who I have photographed there every now and then), they usually support the arts and love their photograph being taken. Of course, they haven't seen it gone through the "Ber Treatment" (Laughing.gif), which is a tangy mix of high contrast and a less than flattering pose.

The thing is, you can't take TRULY candid shots if you have people fill out a form. Plus, I photograph people against their will all the time. People tell me all the time, "Don't photograph me," or "Why won't that kid put down that camera?". But you got to make your judgement about it. There is no perfect solution. In life, great things take risks. If it means being sued, I will face it like I face my subjects: fearlessly.

Everybody is different. Again, if you're more comfortable using the forms, by all means do it. I wouldn't want to tell you how to do your photography. I have respect for anybody who is trying to use their best judgement in life. I truly understand where you're coming from, I just have to do things in a way that satisfies me.
    wxwax wrote:
    thumb.gif Thanks, tml.

ber, the deal is that the release protects you. Without a release, the law's on their side, not yours, should anyone decide to get stroppy.
    edited July 18, 2004
    berhimwich wrote:
    I truly understand where you're coming from, I just have to do things in a way that satisfies me.

thumb.gif Understood, mate, and it works for you. nod.gif In my real work, we have no choice. But we usually get them to sign it after the fact, not before.
    Sid.
    edited July 18, 2004
    God bless South America
    Well, I'm not selling the candid shots anymore though they are still on my site. Not be self-promoting (okay, I have been a few times on dGrin, Laughing.gif!), but there is a section for ordering prints now. None of the pictures feature people except those who are musicians in the midst of their performance.

It was a great dialogue! God bless South America!
    wxwax wrote:
    thumb.gif Understood, mate, and it works for you. nod.gif In my real work, we have no choice. But we usually get them to sign it after the fact, not before.