Options

Bat Mitzvah

moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
edited September 6, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
A former colleague asked me about photographing his daughter’s bat mitzvah in October. Being a little Italian-Catholic boy, I’ve never even been to one, let alone tried to shoot one. Before I get back to him, any advice or ideas you can offer?

I’ve done a little reading here on the forums, especially Mitch's and Andy's posts, but I’d appreciate any insights into the ceremony itself, what I should be looking to capture, and any ideas on how best to shoot it.

The schedule he gave me was 9am-1pm at the Temple for “family and the service”, and 1:30-5pm at a local catering hall. The Temple calls itself a “Center for Reform Judaism” - I don’t know if that makes a difference in the services. If I take the job, I'd certainly look to visit both beforehand, but I don't know that I will be able to do that before I have to give him an answer.

I’m also open to suggestions on pricing this – my first inclination is a flat price that covers shooting plus a CD of photos. I've seen too many cases where a photographer offering a low price for shooting, thinking they will make up for it on print sales after an event that never materialize. Again, I’d appreciate any ideas.

As way of background, I've done some event photography, including college graduations, award ceremonies, receptions and the like. I'm shooting with Canon gear - 40D, 30D, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200mm f/2.8, 18-55mm kit lens, 28-200mm, plus two Speedlites - a 580 and a 430.

Comments

• Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2011
    Check the blog of Jeff Cable.

He's a senior marketing person for Lexar (i think) and was the photographer for USA hockey during last Olympics. His blog has many examples of the events...
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2011
    Thanks for the link. Looks like he has some interesting stuff there.
  • Options
    PRW_PhotoPRW_Photo Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    moose135 wrote: »
    A former colleague asked me about photographing his daughter’s bat mitzvah in October. Being a little Italian-Catholic boy, I’ve never even been to one, let alone tried to shoot one. Before I get back to him, any advice or ideas you can offer?

Well, as a German-Lutheran kid who married a nice Jewish girl, and belongs to a reformed temple, I think I can offer some insights. Reformed is one of the three main branches of Judaism (Conservative and Orthodox are the others) and is the most liberal. I believe it is the only branch that will allow photos during the service. But just like Christian weddings, rules for photographers will likely vary from temple to temple. Our temple includes the rules as part of the parent's Bar/Bat Mitzvah handbook, so check with your friend. You can also ask for guidelines when you contact the temple. Our temple specifies no flash during the entire service, and no photos during the service except by the designated photographer (so you're it as far a photos go!). The also want the photographer to stay in one position (in the back) during the entire service and not be a distraction. In practice, I'm able to move from one doorway to another using an outer hallway (carpeted) so I can vary the angle a little. You'll definitely want that 70-200/2.8, and you may want to use a tripod, monopod, or at least brace the camera against the doorframe. During the service most of the action takes place in front, with the child, parents, and Rabbi all facing the congregation. One thing to be ready for is that once the Torah is removed from storage (but before it is unwrapped), the child will walk up and down the aisles carrying it, allowing the members of the congregation to see it or touch it with their prayer book. They will usually be accompanied by their parents and the Rabbi, so sometimes getting a good shot of them carrying the Torah can be tricky.

In our temple at least, the rabbis realize there are many people there who are friends and not familiar with Judaism, so they make it a point to explain each part of the service as they go along, which makes it easier for the photographer.

Our temple allows time prior to the service that you can do staged shots with flash at the front, and they will bring out the Torah for these photos. This is a good time for family photos also, and the Rabbi will usually be available for part of the time also.

The rehearsal will usually be on the Thursday prior. You may want to see if you can be there, so you are familiar with things and can meet everyone. Side note: in a conservative temple, the rehearsal is the time to do all the re-enacted photos of the service.

There may be a light buffet at the temple after the service, so have your 18-55 and a flash ready to go for that part.

The party afterwards is similiar to a wedding reception, but MUCH younger. The kids ofter sit separate from the adults (because all parents are dorks...) and the DJs usually do a lot of crowd participation things. watch for traditional dances, and the child (and often parents) being lifted up on a chair.

I'd recommend the flat pricing route. You may get some orders from the parents, but that will be about it.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Paul Wossidlo
    www.PaulRichardWossidlo.com
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2011
    Thank you so much, Paul! I appreciate all the information you gave me. I've had the chance to speak with a couple of photographer friends who have shot these in the past, and they gave me some more things to ask about as well. I'll let you know how I make out.
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2011
    Paul, I had the chance to meet with the parents, at the Temple, this weekend. They said no flash photography during the service, and there is really a "no photography" rule, but shooting from the back is allowed (although I'll probably contact the Rabbi beforehand to confirm) What the plan is to shoot family portraits at 9am, the service begins at 10, then we are off to the catering hall after services, without anything at the Temple following the service. They are planning 170-200 guests, but don't want table shots.

I mentioned taking some photos during rehearsal, and Mom said "But then we'd have to get all dressed up another time...no, that's OK." And they are fine with a CD of finished shots - their older daughter had her Bat Mitzvah a couple of years ago - and I'm not really clear on who took the photos, sounded like "some kid with the DJ" - and Mom put together an album through Shutterfly.

Sounds like it will be an "experience"!
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2011
    It sounds like this temple is very similar to mine. I don't think you will have too many problems.

Just to clarify, photos during rehearsals are usually only done for conservative congregations, because they are very strict about the no photos rule. Since your friend's congregation is reformed, they would rather you take photos during the service. You should still consider going to the rehearsal, just to familiarize yourself with everything, talk to the rabbi, etc.

Paul Wossidlo
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2011
    I realized I never passed along an update on this - I gave the parents a quote for the shoot, and after a week, they said their photography budget was "limited" and they would look for alternatives, such as a family friend taking pictures, and cameras on the tables for guests to take pictures. It was a valuable learning experience, and thanks for all the helpful advice.
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2011
    moose135 wrote: »
    I realized I never passed along an update on this - I gave the parents a quote for the shoot, and after a week, they said their photography budget was "limited" and they would look for alternatives, such as a family friend taking pictures, and cameras on the tables for guests to take pictures. It was a valuable learning experience, and thanks for all the helpful advice.
    Wow, you went through all that, collected the info, etc., and they still didn't book you? Hate when that happens. Well, you'll be better prepared when the next one comes along.

Paul Wossidlo