Options

How does this happen?

jmhjmh Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited October 9, 2005 in Technique
I set my Canon 20D on a tripod and took a few pictures of the moon on a crystal clear night. They all had this effect to some degree. What is happening? Is it related to camera movement as the mirror moves or is it a lens effect? The image looks perfect through the viewfinder and I used the timer to trigger each shot. I'm confused...

39304986-M.jpg

39304987-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2005
    Ill take a guess.
    Do you have filters on your lenses?
    Looks like a reflection.
    Welcome to the forum.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,191 moderator
    edited October 9, 2005
    Filters or... lens flare. Did you shoot wide open?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2005
    I had similar yesterday
    Not as prominent as yours, but still had it (was easy to remove in PS, hence I didn't care much about it).
    39227247-L.jpg
    Funny, didn't have it on a full moon shots, with the virtually identical conditions.
    Most likely the UV filter... (Mental note to self: remove when shooting at night).

What lens were you shooting with?

Thanks!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2005
    I was using a Sigma 50-500 with a UV filter. I tried numerous f-stop / speed combinations and saw the same problem every time until I backed out to less than 200mm. Does this help narrow it down?
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2005
    Interesting. I have never seen this before so all I can do is guess.

I would try taking the UV filter off for these shots.

Maybe the light is reflecting off your lens, hitting the filter and bouncing back into the lens. FWIW I think you are overexposing the shots a bit too as the "refection" looks better exposed than the original.
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2005
    I think I'll try it sans filters next time. I chose to post the overexposed shots as they showed the reflection much better than the ones with proper exposure. I tried a number of speed and stop combinations to eliminate the ghost image but posted the 'worst' ones here so the effect would be easy to see. Some of the shots were fair but all had the 2nd image until I zoomed back to about 200mm. After I get a chance to try again I'll post the results on this thread. Thanks everyone who commented!!!