Night Photography

crodier66crodier66 Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited June 30, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
I am going to Washington D.C this weekend and will be taking night photos of the monuments. I will be using a Canon 7D and 17-55mm f2.8L lens mounted on a tripod. Any suggestions on camera settings?

Thanks,

Chris

Comments

• moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2011
    For night photography like that, I'll usually work with a mid-range aperture, somewhere around f/7.1 or f/8 to start. I'll start out in Av mode, ISO 100, and see what the camera wants to give me for shutter speeds. Once I have a baseline, I may switch over to manual and play with f-stop and shutter speed to get different effects. A smaller aperture (f/16 or smaller) should give you some nice starburst effects from lights. I'm assuming the longest shutter speed on your 7D is 30 seconds. If so, you may need to go into bulb mode and use a remote for longer shots, especially with a very small aperture.

Washington is a terrific place to shoot at night. It's been a few years since I've been there, but here is sample from my last trip. You can click on the photo to view the rest of my DC gallery.

675570906_ffVyA-L.jpg
  • crodier66crodier66 Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2011
    Night Photography
    moose135 wrote: »
    For night photography like that, I'll usually work with a mid-range aperture, somewhere around f/7.1 or f/8 to start. I'll start out in Av mode, ISO 100, and see what the camera wants to give me for shutter speeds. Once I have a baseline, I may switch over to manual and play with f-stop and shutter speed to get different effects. A smaller aperture (f/16 or smaller) should give you some nice starburst effects from lights. I'm assuming the longest shutter speed on your 7D is 30 seconds. If so, you may need to go into bulb mode and use a remote for longer shots, especially with a very small aperture.

Washington is a terrific place to shoot at night. It's been a few years since I've been there, but here is sample from my last trip. You can click on the photo to view the rest of my DC gallery.

675570906_ffVyA-L.jpg

Nice photo! What was the focal length of the lens you used for this photo?