Dropped 18-200VR... Where to have it repaired?

kitvankitvan Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
edited June 30, 2011 in Cameras
Hey everyone, long time no see.

A while back, I dropped my D80 in a soft case with the 18-200VR attached. I got pretty lucky, as the lens has been functioning fine ever since, except for a slight click when I zoom it in and out. Also the autofocus acts a little differently than it did before... it seems that something got jarred loose, but not enough to significantly impact the normal operation of the lens.

All said, I've been using the lens without any major problems for about a year. But now I'm planning a trip to Africa, and I'm considering taking only this lens with me. SO, I really need to get it looked at/repaired before I go to ensure that I don't cheat myself out of some amazing photo ops. :wink
The lens is not under warranty.

My question is: Am I better off sending it in to Nikon in El Segundo, CA to repair it, or finding a reputable lens repair shop in the Los Angeles area? Will Nikon even repair lenses that are not under warranty? What kind of price comparisons should I expect between a local shop and Nikon?

Thank you for any advice, I need to get it checked out soon- I'm leaving in Sept! :thumb

KV
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2011
    I always prefer dealing with Nikon's service center. They will repair the lens if you want to meet their price.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • SoCalAlSoCalAl Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited June 28, 2011
    I would deal with Nikon if you have to send it in. Check this first. Make sure the front lens is tight. Have seen a lot of reports where it came loose and tightening it up has solved a variety of problems. Maybe that will help? I have had several repairs done at El Segundo with 100% success, a binding zoom on a 24-70, D300 error message, They put my D3 back together after I got run over at an MX track and a couple of miscellaneous other repairs. ne_nau.gif
  • kitvankitvan Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2011
    Thanks for the quick responses guys... I'll take a look to make sure there is nothing obvious that just needs a little tightening.

If it's internal, I will probably contact Nikon about sending it in. How does that work? Do I send it in, then they give me a quote?
    edited June 28, 2011
    kitvan wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick responses guys... I'll take a look to make sure there is nothing obvious that just needs a little tightening.

If it's internal, I will probably contact Nikon about sending it in. How does that work? Do I send it in, then they give me a quote?

Call their support line and they will e-mail you a shipping label. About a week after they receive it you should get a service # which you can use to track your lens' status. They will give you an estimate which you will have to approve before they do any work on the lens.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2011
    Taking ONLY the 18-200? Sounds like a good way to cheat yourself out of some amazing photo ops eek7.gif

I would take a 70-200, 300, 24-70, and a WA, plus probably a mirrorless for when I don't want to lug around all the gear. But then again, that's just me, I don't have the cash to buy that stuff, and you may not either mwink.gif
  • kitvankitvan Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    @ HarryB
    Thanks for the advice, I'll probably be giving Nikon a call in the next couple days.

@ThatCanonGuy
    You're probably right, I'm going to re-evaluate my equipment list for the Africa trip... will likely purchase one more lens just in case.
    edited June 29, 2011
    @ HarryB
    Thanks for the advice, I'll probably be giving Nikon a call in the next couple days.

@ThatCanonGuy
    You're probably right, I'm going to re-evaluate my equipment list for the Africa trip... will likely purchase one more lens just in case.

You might consider renting a lens for the trip also.

I'm going to Kenya in October and since its one of those once in a lifetime deals I'm making sure that I will be packing the right equipment for the trip.
    Harry
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    We would send it to Nikon. Sorry to hear about your lens!
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • SvennieSvennie Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2011
    @ThatCanonGuy

I borrowed a sigma 50-500 when I went on my trip to RSA. Pretty heavy, but I'm sooo glad I did take it! Most of these are shot at +200mm, a lot even at 500mm: http://svenwarris.smugmug.com/Nature-Pets-and-Stills/Animals-of-South-Africa/8432566_RFEU2#554063350_K6YJb
    (d70s, so remember the 1.5 crop factor)