1st large family shoot. CC welcome & wanted

chris5olsonchris5olson Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
edited July 1, 2011 in People
got to play with the 5DmkII and the Sigma 50mm 1.4 again. I cant wait to make them mine! some of my faves.

1. IMG_6861.jpg

2. IMG_6683.jpg

3. IMG_6685.jpg

4. IMG_6859.jpg

the rest are here on my fb page
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.228301077192113.61097.141991952489693
In My Bag:
Canon Rebel XSi. Canon 50mm f/1.4. Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6. Speedlite 430exII
Coming Soon
Canon 5DmkII. Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L

Comments

• chris5olsonchris5olson Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    no one in 70 views. is that a good thing?
    In My Bag:
    Coming Soon
  • CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    Ok. I'll go. Very nice shots. 2 and 4 are my favs. (I'm not really feeling the defocused family members in the background of 1 and 3.) Love the couple in 2, with her wedding ring beautifully featured. I would wish for the better light on her, though, as her face is in a slight shadow and he seems to have the better light. And no 4 is a nice composition, a memorable scenic shot.
    Beautiful, all. Thank you for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • neastguyneastguy Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    I like em all... great job
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    Sometimes I just don't feel qualified to give c&C.....but I know it can be disappointing when no one posts.
    And yes I think it can be a good thing, in my mind it means there are no glaring errors or such that are easy to point out.
    I like #1, I love the bridge in the background. I might lighten up the faces of the couple in front in PP, well maybe just the woman. It could use a little pop too. IMHO
    #2 is great, maybe a little pop here too.
    #3 is lovely, wish the little gal was looking at the camera but I know how that goes.
    #4 very nice !! A little pop and or lightening on the face would make it snap a little more.
    I like them, nice work !

If you care to send me a large file I could show you what I mean about giving an image some pop, and lighting up faces.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • AmandaMFMAmandaMFM Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2011
    I think all of you photos are very good. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    Photo 1- I really like the idea of blurring the family in the back, it's actually a really popular trend right now. <o:p></o:p>
    Photo 2- The lighting could be a bit better on the woman, but over all it is quite good. May dodge around the eyes a little bit?<o:p></o:p>
    Photo 3- Cute picture, although it looks like the kids faces are ever so slightly out of focus. If so (and not just my eyes) I'd be careful blowing it up.<o:p></o:p>
    Photo 4- This is my favorite one. Likely to be a favorite of the family too. Only thing I would try, just to see how it looks, is put a little more light in those eyes. Sometimes it looks bad, but most times it works well.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Thanks for sharing<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Amanda<o:p></o:p>
    <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Calgary</st1:place></st1:City> Portrait Photographer
    www.amandamcpheephotography.com
    Amanda
    Calgary Portrait Photographer
    www.amandamcpheephotography.com
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2011
    overall nice stuff.

1) subjects could use bit more exposure..expecially mom and dad.
    2) very well framed and posed and captured..you were using 50mm on full fram right? This on the verge of "too close" where you can get perpective distorton. Also the brightest part of the image which can tedn to draw the eye, is that patch of sky next to the couple. Can you brush in some neg exposure?
    3) great shot...would have been better with the little girl looking at the camera..oh well. could use vignette as well
    4) decent shot..could use vignette
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2011
    I agree with the above technical comments, especially giving them a bit more pop. Otherwise I love the way you placed subjects in the bkgd. #2 and 4 are my favorites.
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • chris5olsonchris5olson Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2011
    thanks everyone for your helpful tips! i will keep them in mind :D
    In My Bag:
    Coming Soon