Options

proof delay and vacation time

sellissellis Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
edited June 29, 2011 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hi all, I'm going on a weeks vacation in a little while and I'm wondering how to handle proof delays. In the past, when I've taken short trips I would just extend the proof delay for all galleries so I'd have time when I got back. This trip will be at least ten days and the maximum proof delay is seven days.

One thought is to put a message on my main page stating that orders should be placed after XYZ date and put the word out on my personal and business Facebook pages. But then that also alerts people that I'm on vacation!!! I've got about 15 active coupons/print credits and then there's the people who are just ordering prints without a coupon.

How do you all handle it? :dunno:scratch

Thanks,
Sam

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2011
    sellis wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm going on a weeks vacation in a little while and I'm wondering how to handle proof delays. In the past, when I've taken short trips I would just extend the proof delay for all galleries so I'd have time when I got back. This trip will be at least ten days and the maximum proof delay is seven days.

One thought is to put a message on my main page stating that orders should be placed after XYZ date and put the word out on my personal and business Facebook pages. But then that also alerts people that I'm on vacation!!! I've got about 15 active coupons/print credits and then there's the people who are just ordering prints without a coupon.

How do you all handle it? ne_nau.gifscratch

Thanks,
    Sam
    The safest way is put a site wide password on your site.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2011
    Allen wrote: »
    The safest way is put a site wide password on your site.

Interesting idea, but I don't want people to not be able to view the photos either. Unless I make the password hint a vacation message! Hmmmmmm!
  • Options
    Smug EricSmug Eric Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 333
    edited June 28, 2011
    You could turn off the printable option in all your galleries using the Multiple Galleries option in the settings. Then if you have internet access you can can turn the printable option back on 3 or 4 days into your vacation so visitors can order again.
    Eric
    Support Hero and Customeister
    http://www.smugmug.com/help
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2011
    Smug Eric wrote: »
    You could turn off the printable option in all your galleries using the Multiple Galleries option in the settings. Then if you have internet access you can can turn the printable option back on 3 or 4 days into your vacation so visitors can order again.

I like that idea, along with a message on my main page that I'm on vacation and can not fulfill print orders until I return.

Thanks!
    Sam
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2011
    Rather than all the talk about how to prevent orders from being placed, I assume you're in the business of generating sales. Wouldn't you rather figure out how to be able to process a few orders while you're on vacation so customers can buy when they want to rather than locking them out of placing orders?

Do you have a laptop you can take with you and load up your usual processing software on? If so, all you need is an external drive that you can copy your photo library onto and have everything you need to spend a few hours making sure your orders can go through without a hitch.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2011
    jfriend wrote: »
    Rather than all the talk about how to prevent orders from being placed, I assume you're in the business of generating sales. Wouldn't you rather figure out how to be able to process a few orders while you're on vacation so customers can buy when they want to rather than locking them out of placing orders?

Do you have a laptop you can take with you and load up your usual processing software on? If so, all you need is an external drive that you can copy your photo library onto and have everything you need to spend a few hours making sure your orders can go through without a hitch.

I could bring the laptop with me, but I don't know if the cottage we're renting has Internet access. I don't take many actual days OFF and I'd like to be able to relax for a while. Today was my birthday and I uploaded a wedding, met with a client, finalized a contract for a Quincienara, and did a little networking with a venue. Granted, I'll still be returning emails and calls while on vacation, but I really don't want to be up late retouching images (because I won't sacrifice family vacation time for work) and then be dragging while we're doing stuff with the kids the next day.

I could handle small orders by just downloading the JPEG from SM, doing a quick retouch, and replacing it for printing, but sometimes I get orders of 100 prints at a time or orders for large canvases that require I go back to the RAW file to make sure I do the best edit.

I also know that 99% of my images can be printed as they are uploaded, but I want them to look their best so I give them a little extra attention before going to print. Not to mention that I have 79,555 images in my SM galleries! That's a lot of files to haul with me. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2011
    Case in point- the wedding I uploaded TODAY just used their $500 print credit to order a bunch of 5x7s through 11x14s. I definitely wouldn't want that going out the door without additional love and attention! I do think that clients will respect that I'm away and will wait to order prints if they know they'll get a better print.

Sam
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    sellis wrote: »
    Case in point- the wedding I uploaded TODAY just used their $500 print credit to order a bunch of 5x7s through 11x14s. I definitely wouldn't want that going out the door without additional love and attention! I do think that clients will respect that I'm away and will wait to order prints if they know they'll get a better print.

Sam
    That makes sense for an event like that. It would be nice if you could contact the help desk and ask them to extend the proof delay for a specific order while you're on vacation. I wonder if they can do that?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    It would be nice if you could contact the help desk and ask them to extend the proof delay for a specific order while you're on vacation. I wonder if they can do that?
    That's what I was thinking. Maybe extend the proof delay on an item once it's ordered? headscratch.gif It would take you watching email for orders and emailing the help desk to hold them, but it doesn't seem like a hard request.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    That makes sense for an event like that. It would be nice if you could contact the help desk and ask them to extend the proof delay for a specific order while you're on vacation. I wonder if they can do that?

We can't - but we can always cancel an order in proof delay and then replace that order when the pro returns. Just write our Support Heroes and we'll be able to help.
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    We can't - but we can always cancel an order in proof delay and then replace that order when the pro returns. Just write our Support Heroes and we'll be able to help.

That's great to hear Andy! I knew there was a simple way to handle this. If I get any orders while on vacation, I'll email SM, then I'll email the client to let them know their prints will be delayed so they aren't left wondering.

What a relief! Now I can leave that beastly 17" MBP at home and just bring my iPad wings.gif

Sam