Options

The download all... What happened to the emailed link?

bnlearlebnlearle Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
edited July 11, 2011 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I was LOVING the download all feature where you would get a link to the zip file. I noticed that this went away -- is there a way to access this? Now when I press the "download all" button, all the photos download automatically.

UPDATE -- now my "download all" option isn't working at all. It's in a lighter color font and isn't clickable... Any ideas?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Smug EricSmug Eric Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 333
    edited June 29, 2011
    If the zip file is still waiting on our servers then it will download it automatically if you select the download all option again. We hold the zip files for 2 weeks I think.

If you want the system to make you a new one you will need to add an image to the gallery. You can delete it immediately if you want. The select download all again.
    Eric
    Support Hero and Customeister
    http://www.smugmug.com/help
  • Options
    David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    Smug Eric wrote: »
    If the zip file is still waiting on our servers then it will download it automatically if you select the download all option again. We hold the zip files for 2 weeks I think.

If you want the system to make you a new one you will need to add an image to the gallery. You can delete it immediately if you want. The select download all again.

Eric,

I have had the issue twice in the past month of not receiving the download link. I cannot recreate it but it is not my email server causing the problem. I have emailed the support heroes and they can't see anything wrong, I have seen one other person not getting the links post dgrin. This one is the third time, there must be something going on that we are starting to see posts we aren't getting the email. Is someone looking into this?

Your suggestions above are great but you are curing the symptoms not fixing the problem. I email the link to Clients for them to download pictures in one simple step and when I don't get the link it becomes an issue.

Thanks
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2011
    I added the extra images, made another gallery (repeat with a different name)... none of that has worked. I'll hit the "download all" option and it'll tell me that I'll get an email -- but I never do. Or not anymore, to be specific. This started happening to me about a month back -- and hasn't begun working again since.
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2011
    bnlearle wrote: »
    I added the extra images, made another gallery (repeat with a different name)... none of that has worked. I'll hit the "download all" option and it'll tell me that I'll get an email -- but I never do. Or not anymore, to be specific. This started happening to me about a month back -- and hasn't begun working again since.

Bump...
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2011
    I hate to sound like a nag ;) but any ideas?

Thanks!
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    I had this problem about a month ago and worked with the help desk, and they basically told me it's on my end and that no one else was having the issue.

It's amazing how I always seem to find these stupid niche errors. Due to this and another problem with the download all feature, I stopped using it completely. Another useful SM featuring gathering dust... ne_nau.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    Anyone having an issue with a download, please contact us at our helpdesk:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal
    with a link to the gallery in question. If you're only missing a certain part of a gallery, specify what part you're missing.

@David: Can you reply again to your ticket and ask for the download links in question and we should be able to provide them if you include links to the galleries.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2011
    Anyone having an issue with a download, please contact us at our helpdesk:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal
    with a link to the gallery in question. If you're only missing a certain part of a gallery, specify what part you're missing.

@David: Can you reply again to your ticket and ask for the download links in question and we should be able to provide them if you include links to the galleries.

Sebastian

Sebastian,

I don't want to have to email for the links or add pictures to the galleries I want someone to look into and report why this continues to happen. I will ask again is anyone looking into this?? I want the problem fixed not the symptoms cured..

Thanks,
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2011
    David,

I can't find any tickets on this from you on our HelpDesk. We'd need specific details if you continue to have problems with the download all feature so we can look into things. That's best handled on our HelpDesk. Thanks!

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2011
    This is a pretty obvious, but intermittent problem. I think SM should fix it rather than try to derail the issue...
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
    SamirD wrote: »
    This is a pretty obvious, but intermittent problem. I think SM should fix it rather than try to derail the issue...

Samir. We would fix it if we can replicate - problem is we can't replicate the issue. Once we can replicate something, fixing a problem is easy. We continue to try, and we certainly don't derail anything. I'm sorry you feel that way :(
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2011
    If it was happening to me 10% of the time when I was using the feature, it's not hard to replicate--just time consuming. Even if it's a 1% chance, it just takes someone generating 100 links to replicate the issue. I sincerely feel there's an effort to simply email the links when people don't get them versus taking those same resources and applying them towards finding a fix.

I remember how hard it was to get SM to fix the rotate image issue. I think a lot of the intermittent issues end up in this same scenario. Diagnosing them is the hardest part, and it seems like SM wants to avoid it as long as possible.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
    SamirD wrote: »
    Diagnosing them is the hardest part, and it seems like SM wants to avoid it as long as possible.

I'm so sorry that you don't believe me when I say we're trying.
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    I'm so sorry that you don't believe me when I say we're trying.
    I'm not saying that I don't believe you, but that I've just seen too much disparity between the action and the PR version of the action in the last few years. I know there's A LOT going on behind the scenes right now, but if the core functionality of SM can't be maintained, we as photographers can't use SM as a foundation block for our businesses.

The download all issue is a 'minor' one to 99% of your customers, but for those of us where it is critical, we lose significant functionality, and unresolved this turns to people leaving and negative PR. In the hotel industry, they say that every satisfied guest will tell 3 people, and that every dis-satisfied guest will tell 11 people. Now, let's modify that for the Internet age by multiplying by 10. I think the same thing applies to SM.

When someone leaves a photo site, there's not much of a going back. There's also not many positive things to say if there was a feeling that the company didn't try to earn the customer's business. Feelings and the like are only opinions, so they have varying weight. But the problem that SM has is the facts--the fact that a properly functioning feature did stop working, even for 1% of users, and that SM did nothing to rectify the situation in a manner that prevented someone from leaving. That's really, really bad PR. Add that cascading effect from dis-satisfied people telling others and there's a lot of loss. Now, if this course of action still makes sense on the bottom line, I'm not going to second guess it, but it's a short-term gain and a long-term loss IMO.
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2011
    Sebastian,

Ask Markham about my issue with this, there are 2 tickets numbers for the same issue on this. Emails are not going out and it is really annoying to be pleasant.
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2011
    David,
    I'll check with Markham if he can give me any details.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero