My first Gigapan panos

SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
edited July 1, 2011 in Landscapes
I finally bought myself a Gigapan Epic Pro, and these are my first attempts using it.

The first is Winthrop Hall at the University of Western Australia. It's a 490 megapixel image.
http://gigapan.org/gigapans/79917/

The second is of Perth, taken across the Swan River from a small jetty in South Perth. It's a 270 megapixel image.
http://gigapan.org/gigapans/80023/

So far, I have learned: 1) Make sure that the lighting doesn't change on the day. I guess that's going to mean aiming for either clear or overcast. The images take quite a few minutes to capture, and the lighting can change a lot in that time. 2) There isn't much processing you can do with these because they're so big, so it's worth taking the time to get as much done in camera as possible. While it's possible to load images wider than 30,000 pixels into Photoshop, I couldn't see a way of exporting them as .jpg images, which restricts things a bit.

My next challenge is to use a large zoom (these were taken using a D7000 and a Tamron 90mm lens). I have a Sigma 50-500, so that should be interesting, even if it ties the computer up for a few days!

Thanks for looking. I hope you enjoy them.
John

Comments

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2011
    Pretty cool. I'd expect looking around for suitable subjects could become quite addicting. Once you start shooting with the long lenses, you really want a very beefy tripod.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2011
    I hope so! :)

You're right about the tripod. I have a Velbon, with the ability to add weight easily to the centre clamp. It's done well so far.
    John
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2011
    I'd love to do one of these, but I still need to upgrade my RRS pano head from Single Row to Multirow. Soon. It's on my must-have list before I make another photo trip anywhere!
  • SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2011
    I look forward to seeing them, Jim!
    John
  • wolf911wolf911 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2011
    wow, that is just so cool