Sailboat in the fog

OlyFanOlyFan Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited July 3, 2011 in Landscapes
Hi all. I was wondering if I could get any thoughts on this shot. I was also hoping to get some opinions on my Smugmug page.Thanks to anyone who responds. :-)

Comments

• WiscoFrankWiscoFrank Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    Hey .. like the shot a lot. The only comment I would have would be that to my eye it looks like it needs a little bit more contrast. Almost too dreamy a look. But hey, it's a nice shot and it really depends on the look your going for.

Checked your site, very nice. I really like the raccoon shot on the front page. Just a wonderful capture.
  • rbtrbt Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    Think you have the basis for a nice shot here. I agree with WiscoFrank that you need some more contrast also maybe clean up the twigs at the bottom.
  • OlyFanOlyFan Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    Thanks for the comments. I was so lucky to catch those baby coons playing in the woods.I love happening across wildlife doing its thing like that :-) I actually have one that I contrasted and removed the twigs in. I am starting to think without Photoshop I am never going to get this stuff just the way I want it. I have just been using Photoscape for any touch ups. I don't know how to post the "fixed up" version on this same thread. I am not great at maneuvering these groups so far. :-)
  • bob1bob1 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 2, 2011
    Reminds me of my "old" Columbia 26 on SF Bay in the 80's. I'm just learning how to work these sites, wish there was a 'book' to assist, but the Grinner's are doing a great job!!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    15524779-Ti.gif with the comments here. This is very close to a wonderful abstract shot but it could use a little bit of a bump for our modern tastes. But the composition is great!
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2011
    I really like the shot and the subject especially. I love this high-key look. I would have placed the extra room in front of the boat rather than the rear. It is more natural to have your subject with space in front of the direction it is moving. Just my humble opinion. I would also get rid of the branches.
  • AFBlueAFBlue Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2011
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    I really like the shot and the subject especially. I love this high-key look. I would have placed the extra room in front of the boat rather than the rear. It is more natural to have your subject with space in front of the direction it is moving. Just my humble opinion. I would also get rid of the branches.

15524779-Ti.gif
    edited July 3, 2011
    Wow. Thanks all for the wonderful advice and for liking the photo. :-) I agree now that I look at it closer that it would have been better to have the room to the front. This is such a great place to learn more about my obsession(err...hobby). Here is hoping for another perfect foggy day when I am out at 5:30 am AND happen across a sailboat tied out,(or whatever the correct nautical term is)...it could happen. :-) Oh and for Bob, a manual would be golden but I agree everyone here is great to help out.
    edited July 3, 2011
    Fixed version of photo
    I think I figured out how to post the "fixed" photo. So if anyone cares to weigh in I wonder if this makes the photo pop a bit more? Thanks a bunch. If only there was a wind to unfurl that Canadian flag. :-)
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2011
    I like the look of the revised shot (contrast wise), but I'm not a fan of that crop - it leaves the boat dead center of the frame. I know you probably didn't have a lot of room to work from the original, but I'd prefer that crop, even with the space behind the boat, to having it centered like the revised shot.