Something very much out of my norm - album cover shots

lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited July 4, 2011 in People
defining my norm as being kids and candid (preferrably candid kids), this is something very different for me. I do not do photos for other people these days, only myself and an occasional wedding second shooting job, just too busy with kids and life. but the father in law has been asking me to get together with him for months now to take some pics for him. We were finally able to coordinate a little time and i ended up being kind of suprised with the results. We were not going for edgy or crazy, he just wanted some simple shots with his guitars for his website and album. (oh and i played with OCF outdoors for the first time on some, that was fun!)

Here are a few:

i-2FCKH2D-L.jpg

i-2dpNHkV-L.jpg

i-M8dm46F-L.jpg

i-sQ2rmJB-L.jpg
i-96H7T2m-L.jpg

i-PLSbG4f-L.jpg

i-LT7ZnZ6-L.jpg

8. Didn't get very many with the electric, but here's one
i-dFWKsCb-L.jpg

Comments

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2011
    Bald guys carry their own reflector!! I've got a good one. As a result I think #8 is one of the better ones. I also like the mood #8 projects. When doing a bald person or any person in direct light it really helps to have a gobo right over the head blocking out the downward light.
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Bald guys carry their own reflector!! I've got a good one. As a result I think #8 is one of the better ones. I also like the mood #8 projects. When doing a bald person or any person in direct light it really helps to have a gobo right over the head blocking out the downward light.

HA! didn't even think about that. I kind of see what you are saying but I personally don't think it's too bad.

well, being that photo shoot for FIL = Free, plus i don't own a gobo, he will have to live with it. thanks for the feedback though!
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2011
    these a re freaking great! the 1st one needs a little more seperation between the BG and the dark jacket though. look at you!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2011
    I really like 3 and 8. Looks like a fun project..good for you, pushing your boundaries.
    Overall these came out good.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2011
    Melissa, these are terrific - they're interesting, flattering, photograpically "current (eg flare etc) and will be great for his website.

#2 is the only one I might hesitate to use - the window frame in the comp doesn't quite do it for me. But that is as much a matter of personal preference as much as anything!!

Great job! clap.gif
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2011
    #3 is a great advert for Martin guitars but Taylor lovers (like myself) might not like it too much... especially as an album cover. :p

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
    edited July 1, 2011
    thank you all so much for the feedback :)

wally- lol to me, a guitar is a guitar is a guitar. you pluck some strings and make some noise! Don't think that will be the album cover pick though, i just shot it for the heck of it.
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2011
    I'm just messing around :P
    It's like nikon vs. canon but with guitars. A personal preference kind of deal :p

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
    edited July 1, 2011
    Oh I know you were lol... I can only imagine the "which is better" debates that go on with guitars!
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2011
    Great work! I love #7. Not technically as fine as the others but It has a nostalgic, dreamlike feel like he's "down at the crossroads tryin to flag a ride." #8 also. He looks to be totally relaxed and in his element.
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    When you say 'for an album' did you mean one to be a full album cover or just a smaller one on the back or inside jacket? I ask because if it's for an album cover, it needs to be a square crop and allow room for text. If I was taking a picture specifically to go on the front of a CD, I think it would be good to shoot wider and crop it where you want it later.

I think 1 6 and 7 can work as cover art but I'm not sure about the rest. But of course, those can just go on his website or promo stuff.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    to me, the last is the most attractive shot-mood, and the most flattering to the guy. Whether it says something about his music & style...ne_nau.gif

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2011
    I real like 3, 7, and 8.