Washington D.C. Night Photos Question

crodier66crodier66 Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited July 2, 2011 in Landscapes
I am going to Washington D.C to take night photos of the momuments. I am will using a Canon 7D and was wondering which White Balance setting to try? Tungsten light, White Fluoresent light, Auto or Customer?

Thanks,

Chris

Comments

• TinstaflTinstafl Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2011
    You could always shoot raw and can adjust the WB in post.
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2011
    Tinstafl wrote: »
    You could always shoot raw and can adjust the WB in post.
    thumb.gif

I can't understand why any photographer would ever do any different - whatever the time or place! Why 'guess' the WB ahead of time and lock that setting into your image files, when you can get it right in pp?
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    RAW, but in general shooting 3200 usually results in pretty good WB for night exposures. Unfortunately I don't have any of might night DC images available right now to tell you how I did them. That or hit a white monument first and custom WB off the white.... Cant' get any easier than that!
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    crodier66 wrote: »
    which White Balance setting to try? Tungsten light, White Fluoresent light, Auto or Customer?

I'm not sure what type of light is used to light up the monuments, but it is unlikely to be straight tungsten or fluorescent, it could be sodium vapor or even mixed lighting which means you'd still need to customize it at some point. And of course the best way to customize it is later, after shooting raw.
    hit a white monument first and custom WB off the white.... Cant' get any easier than that!

If you wanted to get it right in camera, that would be a good way to compensate for whatever lighting or mix of lighting they have.

With night shots, though, sometimes going for straight white looks fake or makes the rest of the image look fake or too blue. Often it seems like a good idea to get close to white in camera, then in post warm it up a little, and a lot of times that looks plausible.