Please please help me decide on my next lens!

lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited July 9, 2011 in Cameras
Either: 50 1.4g, or 85 1.8

I currently have 35 1.8 which I freaking LOVE
50 1.8 which is kind of eh, and making some funny noises
Tamron 28-75 2.8 which I also adore.

I'm worried about the 85 being too long but at the same time I want the extra creaminess of the bokeh.
I'm also worried about the 50 being too close to my 35 in focal length, plus I have the 1.8 if I needed it. But I know the clarity and colors will be worlds above the 1.8 which is what I really love about the 35, plus the extra stop which is major bonus.
Hmmmmm......

Oh and post examples if you got em! I'm a nikon girl, and I shoot kids. Mainly my own for my own pleasure.

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2011
    what is your budget?

I think the 50 1.4 is great lens but too close to your 35 1.8

I think the 85 1.8 is fairly good but if you are going to get the 85 then go for the 85 1.4.

is the 28-75 your only zoom? I would seriously consider the new nikkor 24-120 F4 as well
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2011
    Yeah it's my only zoom and I'm ok with that for now. I don't do much work outside of my own stuff these days. Plus my budget is only around 450... So I can only dream about the 85 1.4! If I had that kind of budget I wouldn't even be posting this question lol. I guess I'm a little worried that the quality of the 85 won't be very good since it's a D lens. (like the 50 1.8). I love the quality of my 35 and want something comparable. I'm literally torn in half over this decision.
    edited July 1, 2011
    So I guess I'm wondering if the quality of the 85 1.8 is comparable to the 35 1.8 or is it kind of eh like the 50 1.8
    edited July 1, 2011
    lilmomma wrote: »
    So I guess I'm wondering if the quality of the 85 1.8 is comparable to the 35 1.8 or is it kind of eh like the 50 1.8

*sigh* take that $450 and put it into a piggy bank. you CAN'T get the 85 1.8 instead of the 1.4..you just CAN'T. Not somone as good as you.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    You poor Nikonians... Canon has an excellent 85 1.8 for about $400!
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    You poor Nikonians... Canon has an excellent 85 1.8 for about $400!

$300 used - the 85 1.8 is very good
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    Melissa: I think it's still outside your immediate budget, but have you had a look at the new Sigma 85 1.4? It's a lot less than the Nikon version! I haven't used one but the reviews on it look great; if it's anything like the 50 1.4, it should be a decent lens.
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    I'd get the 85mm 1.8, but I really love mine! so obviously biased.

having said that, I'd vote for the new 50mm 1.8G over the 1.4G. Save a few bucks and get a REALLY nice (and affordable!) lens. But I'd personally get that lens second.
    //Leah
    edited July 2, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    *sigh* take that $450 and put it into a piggy bank. you CAN'T get the 85 1.8 instead of the 1.4..you just CAN'T. Not somone as good as you.

iloveyou.gif Awww...
    As much as i really really wish i could, I'm not sure I can ever justify spending that kind of $ on a lens to take pics of my kids lol! Maybe way in the future but I am having a lens craving now! I like my 35 so much, I just want something comparable but at a longer range. With pretty bokeh.
    divamum wrote: »
    Melissa: I think it's still outside your immediate budget, but have you had a look at the new Sigma 85 1.4? It's a lot less than the Nikon version! I haven't used one but the reviews on it look great; if it's anything like the 50 1.4, it should be a decent lens.

Yeah looks nice! But still out if my range... It's not really that I couldn't afford it, it's just that I can't justify the cost. I'm not doing this for others for $$ right now cuz I'm just too busy with work and kids. We are also trying to finish the basement so I just feel like even wanting to spend ~450 is pushing it!
    catspaw wrote: »
    I'd get the 85mm 1.8, but I really love mine! so obviously biased.

having said that, I'd vote for the new 50mm 1.8G over the 1.4G. Save a few bucks and get a REALLY nice (and affordable!) lens. But I'd personally get that lens second.

Do you have some samples with it? Do you think the quality is better than the old 50 1.8? I'm just nervous about getting it and it being crappy like the 50 1.8

Thanks for the feedback everyone
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    Do you have some samples with it? Do you think the quality is better than the old 50 1.8? I'm just nervous about getting it and it being crappy like the 50 1.8

I've used the 85mm 1.8D a lot with my D200, as I LOVE tight crops and the two together make a fun walk-around lens (my normal camera is quite heavy, so for me that IS light weight. heh.)

I'm deleting and reuploading my smugmug galleries, so that's not the best source. I think the best I can do is point you to the sundance photos I took with this a year ago over in Flickr. Except for the first photo (G10) the rest are the D200/85mm pairing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/catspawphotos/sets/72157623362622863/

I have the old 50mm 1.8D as well, but honestly just do not use it. I did pick up the newer 1.8G a few weeks ago and REALLY like it, but haven't uploaded anything from it. Hence, put it on a wishlist for later :) availability is still hit/miss on it but they are coming into stock quick enough.
    //Leah
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    iloveyou.gif Awww...

Thanks for the feedback everyone

The 50mm 1.8G is a substantial upgrade from the D version,
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=199348
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2011
    I have the 85mm f1.8 D bought used for 300.00, 50mm f1.8 D I like both of them they are adequate. Just bought the 50mm f1.8 G and I really love it. I dont find myself using the 85mm as much as the 50mm. But that is just me.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
    edited July 8, 2011
    thanks for the input everyone! in case anyone cares, (daniel do not read the next lines!) i will be receiving the 85 1.8 via UPS this evening. i will post my thoughts after playing around with it.

Oh and just want to clarify that I wasn't trying to dog on the 50 1.8d, i loved it until i got the 35 1.8. Now the 50 doesn't seem as great as I once thought, but the quality of the 35 for me is superb. also bear in mind i'm not a pro and do not own a lens over $500. I can't imagine how i'd feel about some of the pro caliber lenses. but i will only dream of those for now.
    edited July 8, 2011
    I read it anyway =(

Well it is still a good lens...I think you are just going miss out on a bit of bokeh creaminess is all. Have fun with it. Maybe you can do some self protraits as well. I have forgotten what you look like.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    edited July 8, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    I read it anyway =(

Well it is still a good lens...I think you are just going miss out on a bit of bokeh creaminess is all. Have fun with it. Maybe you can do some self protraits as well. I have forgotten what you look like.

getting ready to post some pics over in people. not of myself. maybe tomorrow after i get my hair done.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2011
    If you're shooting on a crop sensor camera body, and plan to do so for the near future, I'd get the 50 f/1.4 AFS-G, or at least the new 50 1.8 AFS-G.

Both of the new 50's are AMAZING, it just depends how much you plan to shoot with it. Personally, I really like a 50 on a crop sensor.

The older AF-D lenses are definitely a bit "ehh" on autofocus, they're not as accurate as the new AFS-G lenses.

The 85 f/1.8 AF-D is actually quite great and I love it on full-frame, it's a much more quality, reliable product than the old 50 1.8 D.

The thing is, Nikon might make a new 85 1.8 AFS-G, since they've been recently updating a lot of their primes to AFS... Which I would LOVE to own.

All in all, based on the current situation with Nikon lenses and the near-future / long-term, I'd say get the 50 f/1.4 AFS, or 50 f/1.8 AFS. I recently bought the 50 f/1.8 AFS-G, and it just BLOWS AWAY the older 50 1.8 D.

It's up to you whether you prefer 35mm or 50mm, or whether the two focal lengths are too close. Personally, I'd prefer a 50 on a crop sensor...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum