Google+

MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited July 31, 2011 in The Big Picture
I am pretty excited to see what Google has in the works for social media. Does anyone have access to it yet and can give some thoughts on how it might impact photogs? Better yet, anyone with some invites to share?

-adamc
adam.cartwright@gmail.com
www.adamcartwright.com

Comments

• SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    I received an invite, but it didn't do me any good. It just says: "We've temporarily exceeded our capacity. Please try again soon." at the moment.
    John
  • MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    Sventekoz wrote: »
    I received an invite, but it didn't do me any good. It just says: "We've temporarily exceeded our capacity. Please try again soon." at the moment.

If you haven't tried again, you might try now. I was able to finally join at plus.google.com. This will be interesting how it all develops. I've read that Google is re-branding Picasa to Google Photos. I haven't started playing with the photo integration in Google+ yet.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    this all sounds like fun till they start selling your images.........I read the TOS after seeing an article on Scott Bourne's Photo Focus blog.........won't see me using them.....looking at giving up anything owned by Google, except for the use of the search engine.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited July 6, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    this all sounds like fun till they start selling your images.........I read the TOS after seeing an article on Scott Bourne's Photo Focus blog.........won't see me using them.....looking at giving up anything owned by Google, except for the use of the search engine.

Yeah, I look at it like facebook or any other place with those types of terms - good for limited advertising/samples that links people back to smugmug or similar.

So far I'm finding Google+ to be interesting, but still immature in many areas. Business use will be limited until Google adds features that make sense for groups and organizations instead of individuals. I think I read that they're adding business support over the next few months.
  • Mr EddyMr Eddy Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2011
    Something I'm wondering about on this. The terms contain: "[SIZE=-1]This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.". If you look at the picasa terms of service, "[/SIZE]Google does not claim any ownership in any of the content, including any text, data, information, images, photographs, music, sound, video, or other material, that you upload, transmit or store in your Picasa account. We will not use any of your content for any purpose except to provide you with the Service."

So does the picasa terms of service override the google plus one?
  • GFPGFP Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited July 10, 2011
    Can anyone think of a good way to use google invitations as a marketing ploy? Like putting a message out on facebook offering free google invites or adding a catch like liking the fan page or buying a package? :)
    edited July 10, 2011
    Mr Eddy wrote: »
    Something I'm wondering about on this. The terms contain: "[SIZE=-1]This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.". If you look at the picasa terms of service, "[/SIZE]Google does not claim any ownership in any of the content, including any text, data, information, images, photographs, music, sound, video, or other material, that you upload, transmit or store in your Picasa account. We will not use any of your content for any purpose except to provide you with the Service."

So does the picasa terms of service override the google plus one?

Picasa will not be Picasa for long and the terms may change As well Google is renaming or re-branding some of the stuff they own.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2011
    GFP wrote: »
    Can anyone think of a good way to use google invitations as a marketing ploy? Like putting a message out on facebook offering free google invites or adding a catch like liking the fan page or buying a package? :)

Those all sound like great ideas. Assuming your clientele is savy about google +

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2011
    Well, I'm 'in' and looking around. I no doubt have to learn more about it, but I must say that it looks unremarkable at the moment. The invitations seem to have opened up now.
    John
    edited July 12, 2011
    realized I had forgotten to link to Scott Bournes PhotoFocus Blog so all could easily read his take on this .....here is link: http://tinyurl.com/6a5nptf

• eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2011
    Sventekoz wrote: »
    Well, I'm 'in' and looking around. I no doubt have to learn more about it, but I must say that it looks unremarkable at the moment. The invitations seem to have opened up now.

15524779-Ti.gif
    I got an invite a couple of days ago. Can't find many friends on there yet. Just don't see what all the fuss is about. Now I potentially need to post updates from my site/blog to FB/Twitter/G+ and keep up with all of these networks. As it is, I usually do not stay logged into Google while surfing as I do not want my info (searches, etc) tracked by the Empire. So now, I would need to log in just to keep up with G+...
    edited July 12, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    realized I had forgotten to link to Scott Bournes PhotoFocus Blog so all could easily read his take on this .....here is link: http://tinyurl.com/6a5nptf

Already the standard FUD is flying. Google does need to clarify some of the content of their TOS, but any website you post your work on, you need to know what you're getting into. I found this post by Vincent Mo to be interesting:
    There has been some talk about Google’s Terms of Service and whether photographers should be ok with it.

This seems to have started with Scott Bourne’s blog post: http://photofocus.com/2011/07/06/google-plus-read-the-fine-print-before-you-sign-up/ and popularized by this Washington Post article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpost/post/google-may-carry-dangers-for-photographers/2011/07/08/gIQAr2Ea3H_blog.html

I’m not a lawyer, but I would like to point out the fact that both of these articles leave out the last sentence in clause 11.1 of Google’s Terms of Service (http://www.google.com/accounts/TOS):

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

+Denise Howell, who actually is a lawyer, has a thoughtful article about the TOS on her blog. In the article, she draws much attention to this sentence. Her conclusion is that the Google TOS isn’t perfect, but it’s also nothing to panic about:
    http://www.bagandbaggage.com/blog/2011/7/10/google-user-licenses-clarification-would-be-nice-but-theyre.html

Personally I think this is just the same old conversation that has been had with every social media tool. I think Colby Brown's article sums up pretty well my feelings for the issue. Then again, I'm not a pro selling art creations to the masses. I have very specific clients purchasing very specific photographs from me, so my business is quite different. Anyway, check out what Colby has to say as I think it's very well thought out and presented:

http://www.colbybrownphotography.com/blog/google-social-marketing-and-the-changing-photo-industry/
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2011
    I've been there for a few days. It still feels empty right now and honestly, I haven't posted anything on G+ yet....but I don't post much on FB. My account is in my sig.
  • Brandon HanleyBrandon Hanley Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited July 13, 2011
    im liking it a lot actually. more than facebook anyway. it sucks untill you get some "circles" going though. currently i only have one "circle" and thats members from POTN aka photography on the net.
    edited July 13, 2011
    Hmmm...should we make a Dgrin circle?
  • cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2011
    I'm on there, but haven't spent any time getting to know the place yet. So I don't really get the "circle" thing yet, is there a point of a dgrin G+ circle when we have, uh, dgrin? ne_nau.gif
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
    edited July 13, 2011
    Good point Cab...no idea!
    I still don't get G+ and am comfortable with my presence on FB using a personal profile and page so not sure what the draw will be
    edited July 13, 2011
    the good thing about circles is you can limit who sees what you post. which means your wife isn't getting the posts of you talkin trash with your drinking buddies, and your drinking buddies arent getting the posts of you sucking up to your wife :D could be used for targeted advertising and such.
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2011
    Here is the full term 11 for google +

[SIZE=-1]11. Content license from you[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1] [/SIZE]

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

11.2 You agree that this license includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.

11.3 You understand that Google, in performing the required technical steps to provide the Services to our users, may (a) transmit or distribute your Content over various public networks and in various media; and (b) make such changes to your Content as are necessary to conform and adapt that Content to the technical requirements of connecting networks, devices, services or media. You agree that this license shall permit Google to take these actions.

11.4 You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above license.
    Steve

Website
    edited July 13, 2011
    also for those who got invites but saw the page saying "not right now" pretty much anyway... try logging into your google acct before clicking the invite or visiting the G+ page.
    edited July 15, 2011
    pm me an email address if you would like an invite.
  • tkerrtkerr Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2011
    Just a little comment for everyone so concerned about the TOS and posting photos on Google/Picasa. That TOS is very similar to many other web hosts where you post your pictures. It's for their protection as well as yours. Just read it carefully and if you're in doubt don't share your photos there. That doesn't mean you should decide agains joining just for that reason.
    FYI, Just the fact your pictures are posted anywhere on the Internet via any source allows Google to find them and display them through any of their network resources.
    If anyone is so worried about losing their copyrights, then the best thing you could do is not post them there if you don't like the TOS. If you're worried someone is going to steal your pictures there is only one sure fire way of insuring that won't happen. Even a web site that blocks right click and save as can't stop someone from getting your picture. As long as it can be seen on the computer monitor it can be stolen.

All the negative comments I have seen, like I'll never join FB or G+ they're this that or whatever. I don't know what those people are expecting, and I wonder why there are millions of people who have already joined Google + and millions of other still trying to join. They're just another type of forum, with a few extras which you can choose to use or not. Must be because they look so plain.

Facebook vs Google +:
    Google + from what I have found so far is much better than FB in many ways. Although the appearance may look similar the functionality is different. Besides, where did FB get the idea for their layout?
    G+ gives you more controls over your photos and who is allowed to view them. The fact that you're actually using Picasa makes it easier to upload your images, and it preserves the quality rather than re-sampling and compressing them to 24% of the original like FB does, and that's if you choose high resolution upload on FB.
    One of the attractions to G+ are the Circles. They are nice because you control who is in which circle and which circle or person has access to what material you post online.

So what's the real difference between a Forum like Dgrin and FB or G+. Dgrin and other forums like it are just social networks themselves. A place where people with similar interests can meet and discuss topics related to those similar interests. The Difference is that these forums are becoming outdated, they are the old and FB and G+ are the new meeting and sharing place social networking forums. FB and G+ seems that it is more attractive to a younger crowd only becuase the older crowd prefers to stay with what they are familiar with, The regular run of the mill web forum. However, more and more older folks are migrating toward those kind of social network outlets every day. There must be a good reason for that somewhere.
    In a regular public web forum such as here, you post a message in any of the forum discussion areas and everyone who is a member can read or reply to it. At G+ you post a message and only those who you choose, or whichever circle you choose can read and reply to it. And Like I said, you have more control over your pictures and who can view them.
    If I am not mistaken, being a member of G+ grants you more free upload space on Picasa too.

That's not saying that forums like this won't last, I am sure they will since each serves a purpose and a specific crowd. They will always have their own dedicated groups that will stick around no matter what.

I joined Google + after I got an Invite. I am also a member of Facebook, but its not like they are where I will live whenever I am logged onto the Internet.
    Type my name in the search and you'll find me.
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2011
    Quality content like dgrin will always have an audience and some people active in socializing around it. DGrin need to upgrade the experience but nothing stands still, and most people don't like to publish their thoughts ever.

FB is a fad. Remember Myspace? I have an fb account because a few people post interesting content that cannot be seen without an account. When people start saying "I took a great photo, check it out on Google. I will end up with a google plus account"

People should focus on core business. I prefer Google to think about the future of Search - that experience is not getting any better. DGrin should make this an even better place for serious photographers. Photographers should think about managing the experience for their own network.

One thing is clear about net evolution. It does not need to be free any more. Content is king again.
    edited July 16, 2011
    After 3 days on G+, I'm a convert! Takes a little while to build up some solid circles but that is a very powerful tool. Going back to FB shows its interface to be quite clumsy in comparison. I still have a solid group of personal friends and page 'likes' that cannot be moved over to G+.
    From a marketing standpoint, this is getting quite complicated:
    1 G+ account, 2 Twitter (1 photo/1 business), 3 FB profiles/pages (1 personal, 1 photo, 1 business). Not to mention all the photo and other RSS feeds I follow regularly...
  • tkerrtkerr Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2011
    eoren1 wrote: »
    After 3 days on G+, I'm a convert! Takes a little while to build up some solid circles but that is a very powerful tool. Going back to FB shows its interface to be quite clumsy in comparison. I still have a solid group of personal friends and page 'likes' that cannot be moved over to G+.
    1 G+ account, 2 Twitter (1 photo/1 business), 3 FB profiles/pages (1 personal, 1 photo, 1 business). Not to mention all the photo and other RSS feeds I follow regularly...

If you want to migrate any of your FB content over to G+ this might help.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/67766/how-to-migrate-from-facebook-to-google/

But, you might find if you want to share your pictures on G+ you might be better of just uploading the originals rather than what you get back from FB.
    FB compresses your photos by down to about 24%.
    edited July 16, 2011
    Thanks for the info. I don't have any 'real' content on FB as I usually only share links on my FB page from my blog. I'm now struggling with what to do on G+:
    Posting the photos on there vs continuing to post links. The nice part of using WP is that the link does show a nice size thumbnail.
    edited July 16, 2011
    add me to your Dgrin circles
    edited July 16, 2011
    Hey Brandon,
    I updated my sig with my G+ account. I'm not sure if I found the correct Brandon Hanley so do me a favor and add me so I can choose correctly.
    Thanks
    edited July 16, 2011
    i added you, my avatar/display photo is a red dirtbike. i wish i knew how to link to G+ posts i could just link to a post and add as people reply.
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2011
    eoren1 wrote: »

Same here. I really like it. Unfortunately, most of my "friends" are still on FB, so I for now I do both.