Options

#80, harder than it looks...

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited July 13, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
This challenge is more challenging than it looks as I forget all the rules. However these are point and shoot type images that I did not set up rather found these critters out raiding my bird feeders, which is definately breaking my garden edicate rules for wildlife! So these are basically straight from camera, let me know what you think about any of them. Do they apply to the theme? Are they breaking photography rules?

1. This was taken through my dirty kitchen window at first sighting.
i-Mb2nNn6-L.jpg

2. This was taken with the lens poking out my back door so not to spook her, but alas she heard the shutter release.
i-MgKXTg8-L.jpg

3. This was taken after the first one ran off. Its the offspring of the latter and looked like an inocent bystander...
i-mMf8295-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    I think #3 breaks a rule....the cute and cuddly subject is hard to see because of the composition....
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    #3 too many 'subjects'. Hodgepodge of color. As well as the 'main' subject us lost. thumb.gif

Don

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    I agree, #3 is the best candidate of the three. But I think with your creative streak you can do even better. :D
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2011
    richtersl wrote: »
    I agree, #3 is the best candidate of the three. But I think with your creative streak you can do even better. :D

15524779-Ti.gif

I also admire your talent and creativity and I know you can come with something much better :D
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2011
    This IS a difficult challenge. No question about it. The point of breaking a rule is to make a stronger image because of the "rebelliousness" of breaking the rule. I've been out and about breaking rules with every shot. Nothing seems to be better because of it, though. ne_nau.gif

In regard to your set, here, I'd say the first one is the best photo. As far as rule breaking goes, the main subject is in an unusual place in the frame. Not centered, not really in a rule of thirds location... just sort of off-center. The weight of the flowers on the lower right also creates a balance point that isn't quite matched with the weight/placement of the subject.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2011
    I'm going back & forth between #1 & #2. I think I prefer #2 because the reflection bothers me a bit in #1 - although selective darkening might enhance the photo. I like the consistent color in #2, & like what Bill says about #1, the comp is a bit off balance in #2 but I think it works.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2011
    ok...we're down to the last weekend and still I have not come up with anything better. I will give it until Monday and if I still do not have anything, I will enter #2 because it has too many things poking into the edges of the image and its not straight, plus clearly that squirell is breaking the rules of garden edicate!
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2011
    I like your current entry best.
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2011
    Yes I did enter something completely different! I decided about noon I needed to find something better because I was not sold on these shots at all! Thanks for noticing Dave!
  • Options
    macolganmacolgan Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited July 13, 2011
    Nice enough subject, but too much distraction from the colourful basket in #1

Not enough of the subject in #2

Again in #3 too much distraction.

I dont particularly like any of these photos........ I should know as I've take lots of these myself !

mac.