Options

#80 - Taking a shot at it

richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
edited July 5, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Took these today with an iPhone camera. Your feedback is much appreciated!

#1 - Making Pretzels (grainy + distracting reflections)
i-PxcDQmz-L.jpg

#2 - Making Pretzels (grainy + distracting reflections)
i-6dZBLWR-L.jpg

#3 - Making Pie Crusts (Backlit, grainy, central comp + distracting reflections)
i-LvJqDSx-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    I like #1 a lot. In #2 I'm distracted by the man's face. I don't like that the woman's face has those lines in #3. #4 would be my second choice.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    I prefer #3 because I think it's visually interesting and has a "commentary" feel to it. My second choice is #4, the grain adding to a vintage look. GP
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2011
    I like #1

- Maybe you can try cropping it on the left side and bottom - I think that the over-imposed multiple exposures
    technique brakes the rules enough, to let you work on a better composition. I would also try to give it a little more contrast.

I had (have) in mind to try this too, but for now I was not in the mood of using the tripod... :)

I also like the pink flower, but I think that it needs more contrast and excitement too headscratch.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2011
    Thank you, everyone! I appreciate the feedback! thumb.gif

headscratch.gifTatiana, none of these are multiple exposure shots. Are you talking about the reflections?
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2011
    richtersl wrote: »
    Thank you, everyone! I appreciate the feedback! thumb.gif

headscratch.gifTatiana, none of these are multiple exposure shots. Are you talking about the reflections?

I thought the first 3 were... so they are just slow speed shots - even better :)

Whatever they are, my suggestion (non-expert opinion) is the same - that's just me though...
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2011
    I like #1 a lot. I would probably crop a lot of the towel out on the bottom. In my opinion, centering an object (as in the sunflower) requires a much stronger image for this challenge.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2011
    I thought the first 3 were... so they are just slow speed shots - even better :)

Whatever they are, my suggestion (non-expert opinion) is the same - that's just me though...

Thanks, Tatiana! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2011
    hamster wrote: »
    I like #1 a lot. I would probably crop a lot of the towel out on the bottom. In my opinion, centering an object (as in the sunflower) requires a much stronger image for this challenge.

Thanks, Hamster! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2011
    Some Revisions
    The more I look at the hyacinth the less I'm starting to like it. The grain and light look kind of cool but I just can't get it to pop, even with more contrast. ne_nau.gif

But I am having some fun with the shots from the Amish market. :D

Do any of these stand out from the originals? Thanks for looking.

#1 - crop with added contrast
    i-5w8rGTb-L.jpg

#3a - Cleaned up streaks, made grain more subtle
    i-R2t2dVL-L.jpg

#3a - Color version
    i-mSXp9HQ-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2011
    #1 is wonderful clap.gif

I also like #3 but dislike the reflection of the squares on her head :)
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2011
    I also really like #1. The color doesn't work for me.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2011
    #1 is wonderful clap.gif

I also like #3 but dislike the reflection of the squares on her head :)

Thank you! I really wish they didn't have to work behind those plexiglass shields. It would have made for nicer photos. I played around with removing those reflected frames from the girl's face and hair in #3. Was able to successfully remove them from her hair but not from her face. She wound up looking like a mannequin. rolleyes1.gif You should see how quickly she was putting those crusts together!
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2011
    kdotaylor wrote: »
    I also really like #1. The color doesn't work for me.
    Thanks again, Kate! I was hoping the red color on the sleeves would take the attention away from the reflections. Oh well! :D
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2011
    I like the first #1 before the crop. For me, the motion blur of the male co-worker and the towel add context that's missing from the revised version.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2011
    I really like the flower - it looks like a watercolor that would look beautiful hanging on a wall.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2011
    I like #2 and 3aBW. They have more subtle distractions than the others.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2011
    Thank you Bill, Lillian, and Sandi! thumb.gif

I made a few attempts at removing some of the reflections from the girl's face in #3 and was wondering if this helped improve the shot somewhat:

#3 - cleaned up reflections
    i-vm26h4r-L.jpg
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,945 moderator
    edited July 4, 2011
    My favorite is #1 before the crop but like the way you bumped up the contrast in a later version. Like Bill, I found it helpful to see the context of the shot and I think it enhances the rule-breaking as the reflections are a bit more apparent, etc. Having two coworkers in the frame adds some energy to the shot as well.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2011
    What I actually meant when I suggested the crop, was to get rid of the left side lady and some of the bottom, something like this:

i-Xh6kDS4-M.jpg

However the white triangle on the bottom right doesn't make too much sense now... headscratch.gif

You did a great job on "#3 - cleaned up reflections". This has a lot of potential to my eyes...

- I would again try to crop the top to eliminate the white stuff, which doesn't add too much to the photo,
    also crop the bottom to where the counter starts (on the left) and add some noise.
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,945 moderator
    edited July 5, 2011
    I like Tatiana's suggestion (and example) for cropping #1. It is my favorite of them all, but I also like what you are doing with #3.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2011
    11doh.gif

Now I get it, Tatiana! Thanks! I'll play with that when I get home this evening.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2011
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    I like Tatiana's suggestion (and example) for cropping #1. It is my favorite of them all, but I also like what you are doing with #3.

Thanks! :D