HDR Attempt

JBHotShotsJBHotShots Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
edited July 4, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Friday I went out and shot something totally out of my comfort zone. When I was there I figured I would try and do some HDR stuff. I got home uploaded and edited photos and gave the CS5 HDR Pro a shot. This is what I got:
Espada Mission
i-HSk9X3n-L.jpg

For my first try I thought it came out ok at best. I did however achieve my goal of making it look like a realistic HDR.

Well today I was just looking around on the web and came across a 15 day free trial of HDR Efex Pro from Nik Software. Thinking "What the hay, it is free", I downloaded it and gave it a go. Still not really knowing anything more than how to upload the pictures via the plugin on CS5 this is what I came up with:

Espada Mission
i-qzkRQL3-L.jpg

I fixed a few glaring issues with the first one and I still think I was able to keep it looking realistic. I really think that I may be forking out the $100 for the Nik Software plugin.

I know that HDR's aren't to everyone's liking but I'm open for C&C on these.
Jamie
JBHotShots.com
Facebook
7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX

Comments

• wolf911wolf911 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2011
    off to a good start, maybe just a bit on the strong side for this pic, but not overcooked, so that is a good thing. I would like to see the two images combined at 50%, thinking that will make for a nice natural process

photomatix has a free trial also to explore.
  • BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2011
    The first image is rather flat. I like the second image, though I suspect you could get that via a dodge and burn session without shelling out for an HDR plugin or standalone.
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2011
    I prefer the first image, but congratulate you for noticing and
    removing the orange traffic cone for the second image.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • JBHotShotsJBHotShots Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2011
    Blackwood wrote: »
    The first image is rather flat. I like the second image, though I suspect you could get that via a dodge and burn session without shelling out for an HDR plugin or standalone.

Oh to be so talented...Laughing.gif
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX
  • JBHotShotsJBHotShots Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2011
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    I prefer the first image, but congratulate you for noticing and
    removing the orange traffic cone for the second image.

As glaring as it is, I really don't know how I missed it. I also rotated to straighten the building which to me was a heck of a lot "messier" looking to me.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook