"Dunes Shoot Comparisons"

Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
edited July 6, 2011 in People
Many of you have seen Zoomer's awesome photos of the two models in the Sand Dunes recently. We both worked on this shoot and thought it would be fun to get some feedback from you folks by comparing our two different interpretations of this shoot. I'll start with two shots and Zoomer will post two similar shots for comparison. I expect to learn a lot from this. Here goes:

DSC2391-Edit-XL.jpg

DSC2591-Edit-XL.jpg

OK Mike, Your go.

Comments

• zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2011
    Ok here are my same versions of the same shots. On my shots top one the white dress is borderline blown but ok...on the bottom one the shirt is to blown for me to use.

850D703692-2-2-copyedited-1.jpg

850D703841-2.jpg
  • Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
    The high lights are tough. We talked about avoiding white wardrobe before the shoot and I went that way anyway. So shoot me. I think the whites are more blown out in my versions than yours.
    edited July 5, 2011
    Yeah it took a lot of extra time to select the dress/shirt and adjust the rest of the photo then go back to the dress or shirt....but really the contrasts between the two girls was worth it for me. Also the white against that dark sand looked good so I think white was actually a good choice...in spite of the difficulties of working with bright white in midday sun. Overall very few of my shots were so blown out that I could not recover the highlights. I watched the blinkies when I was taking the shots and adjusted exposures accordingly.

That is one of the reasons I went mostly black and white...a lot more adjustment can be made in black and white because then there is no need to worry about affecting the colors in the photo.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
    :lurk

Fascinating stuff, boys! thumb.gif
    edited July 6, 2011
    I am still playing with B&W conversions on a number of these. So far nothing I've done with the conversions has realy melted my butter.
    Zoomer, why don't you give me some hard nose critique on my shots above ( I'm asking for it man) then post a couple more shots.
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    Albert, I really like your number two. It screams hot mid-day sun with both exposure and wardrobe, yet the skin tones are really nice.

Did you use a reflector of any sort to get light up under that wide brimmed hat, or did the shirt/sand combination take care of that?

Hats of the wide brimmed variety are always a problem for me.
    edited July 6, 2011
    haha....well I don't really want to critique your shots :). That is what is fun about the two different approaches.....we each get to see the same shots the way someone else would do it.
    The only thing really pertinent (taking the conditions into account, is that I do see some small blue tint in the white...easily fixed with an eyedropper). I gave up on the color in most of the shots....got to be to much work...to many adjustments, and I felt like I was chasing my tail.

Here are a couple for comparison:

850D703814-2vvedited-1-M.jpg

850D703669-2-M.jpg
    edited July 6, 2011
    Albert, I really like your number two. It screams hot mid-day sun with both exposure and wardrobe, yet the skin tones are really nice.

Did you use a reflector of any sort to get light up under that wide brimmed hat, or did the shirt/sand combination take care of that?

Bryce, Thanks. I used a reflector as needed on some shots but as I remember it, not on this one. There was enough bounce off the shirt really. I also had a HV285 on a couple shots for fill but not on this one.
    edited July 6, 2011
    Zoomer, that is one of my favorites of Katie. All her leaps are amazing but the fabric really cooperated well in this one. I like the B&W but am undecided on the antiqued tone.

I know what you mean about the blue cast in the shirt. I am not quite sure how you mean to use the eye dropper to fix it though. Perhaps you can enlighten me.

Here are a few more for comparison to your last post.

DSC2542-L.jpg

DSC2549-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

Slide-13-XL.jpg

I am cheating and posting three because well because I can mwink.gif