Cabin in the woods.

oldovaloldoval Registered Users Posts: 456 Major grins
edited July 7, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
.....as usual, I can't decide between color and b&w. I was almost tempted to pull out those cinder blocks holding up the porch and find some nice rocks for authenticity.

IMGP3436-3-L.jpg

IMGP3436-2-L.jpg

Comments

• W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
    oldoval wrote: »
    .....as usual, I can't decide between color and b&w.
    Nor can I - they both have merit. But if I can (respectfully) make a suggestion, the balance of the composition needs work.

I'd be removing the negative space to the right of the cabin, which doesn't appear to serve any purpose and is a distraction, and finding some space on the left for the cabin to 'look out' onto. Does this make sense?
  • wolf911wolf911 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
    I like the B&W best
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited July 5, 2011
    Nice work thumb.gif. I think the color works better. In B&W I miss the peeled green paint on the wood, which adds to the feeling of age. I agree with WWW that the composition could be improved, but my suggestion is to crop the left and make it a 4x3. In color especially, the path on the right becomes more apparent and doesn't feel like dead space to me.
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    Nice work thumb.gif. I think the color works better. In B&W I miss the peeled green paint on the wood, which adds to the feeling of age. I agree with WWW that the composition could be improved, but my suggestion is to crop the left and make it a 4x3. In color especially, the path on the right becomes more apparent and doesn't feel like dead space to me.
    15524779-Ti.gif

That crop would put the door more on a third and overall make for a better comp! Love the color version, is that tone-mapped?

thumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • oldovaloldoval Registered Users Posts: 456 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
    Nor can I - they both have merit. But if I can (respectfully) make a suggestion, the balance of the composition needs work.

I'd be removing the negative space to the right of the cabin, which doesn't appear to serve any purpose and is a distraction, and finding some space on the left for the cabin to 'look out' onto. Does this make sense?

This makes sense, but... On the left side there wasn't really anything to "look out" onto, the main dirt road comes so close to the front of the cabin that I had to get in tight to avoid capturing it. I thought about cropping out some of the road that runs up the side but when I did it made the image look too crowded.
    edited July 5, 2011
    wolf911 wrote: »
    I like the B&W best

Thank you wolf.
    edited July 5, 2011
    Richard wrote: »

Thanks for sending that crop Richard....I like it. Leaves the side road but cleans up the edges a bit.
    edited July 5, 2011
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif

That crop would put the door more on a third and overall make for a better comp! Love the color version, is that tone-mapped?

thumb.gif

Don

Thank you Richard. Not tone mapped...I just lucked out with some nice light.
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
    Good one. I agree that the color is better, even though I'm usually partial to black and white. The crop doesn't bother me.
    edited July 5, 2011
    Thank you Cornflake.
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
    oldoval wrote: »
    Thank you Richard. Not tone mapped...I just lucked out with some nice light.
    Good thing my middle name is Richard, or I'd complain! Great job on the capture, then! :D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited July 5, 2011
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    Good thing my middle name is Richard, or I'd complain! Great job on the capture, then! :D

Don

Whoops, sorry Don (aka Richard)....musta zigged when I shoulda' zagged. :D
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    I like the colored version the best. There is so much 'old' to take in.
    edited July 6, 2011
    Thank you Mary.
  • WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    I think you did a great job shooting and processing both of them. For a building with great texture like that I would usually vote for B&W but this time the peeling green paint adds its own colored texture. I'll vote color.
    edited July 7, 2011
    Thank you Werner....looks like color is winning out.