wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
edited July 6, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
599-dream-state-j4294-1724-v21.jpg

-
Anybody can do it.

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited July 5, 2011
    Nice going, Walter. The placement and scaling of the blindfold and eyes is perfect. clap.gif I wonder if it would work better with fewer bird shadows. I'd certainly get rid of the one on top of the blindfold and maybe the one at the far right as well. Or maybe there's a deeper meaning that I'm missing, dunno. In any event, this is one of your better works. thumb.gif
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
    Very interesting, Walter, and very dreamlike. As a nitpick, I get the sense it's tilting downward on the right, but maybe my head's angled.
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
    This reminds me a lot of picasso for some reason. You should do a series, market it, and be the first "new artist" to come up with this style. VERY cool.

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    Nice going, Walter. The placement and scaling of the blindfold and eyes is perfect. clap.gif I wonder if it would work better with fewer bird shadows. I'd certainly get rid of the one on top of the blindfold and maybe the one at the far right as well. Or maybe there's a deeper meaning that I'm missing, dunno. In any event, this is one of your better works. thumb.gif

Thanks Richard. The bird silhouettes were placed in to represent the fluttering effect on the eyelids during rapid eye movement sleep. I used four, an even number, which I felt gave an unresolved feeling to the image. I want the viewer's eyes to dart from one to another seeing only parts of the ominous bird (vulture). They originate from behind the eyes in the mask. The mask symbolizes our mind being able to see (dream) although our eyes. The eyes are slightly over saturated while most of the rest of the image has been slightly desaturated. The line of objects running across the middle of the image as well as the leftmost bricks in the right stack have more saturation also. I did this for overall balance, but more importantly, to keep the viewer's eyes moving. The bird shadow on the bricks gives me some ideas for another image I'd like to make--and hopefully, that will be even better.
    Anybody can do it.
    edited July 5, 2011
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Very interesting, Walter, and very dreamlike. As a nitpick, I get the sense it's tilting downward on the right, but maybe my head's angled.

Thanks CF. I think you have a point.

-
    Anybody can do it.
    edited July 5, 2011
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »
    This reminds me a lot of picasso for some reason. You should do a series, market it, and be the first "new artist" to come up with this style. VERY cool.

thumb.gif --

I've been working on a series;
    http://walterfeller.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Surrealism/
    I still have some parsing to do and a few more to put up.

So far, a couple have done very well on a local level: "Cloud Cover" won Best of Show, Best of Division and 1st Place, and "Leap of Faith" won 2nd Place, both Artistic Vision - Professional, at our county fair this year. Encouraging.

I like to use painters for inspiration; Picasso is one, Magritte is more influencial, Dali, and others, to varying degrees depending my mood. There is some excellent work out there. If anything ever comes of it, I may sponsor a softball team or something.
    Anybody can do it.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    Cool .. this is really good. You put a lot of thought into this and it shows thumb.gif

I like how the 2 eyes mimic the two holes/windows to the right of them and the wheels leaning on the wall. This photo had me looking for pairs and your right .. the 4 wings threw me off rolleyes1.gif
    edited July 6, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Cool .. this is really good. You put a lot of thought into this and it shows thumb.gif

I like how the 2 eyes mimic the two holes/windows to the right of them and the wheels leaning on the wall. This photo had me looking for pairs and your right .. the 4 wings threw me off rolleyes1.gif

Thanks. I've had the base building photo for a few years. The mask inside came to me with my 'Witness' photo a few weeks back. In my head it all sort of went together. I like when that happens.
    Anybody can do it.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    wfeller wrote: »
    Thanks. I've had the base building photo for a few years. The mask inside came to me with my 'Witness' photo a few weeks back. In my head it all sort of went together. I like when that happens.

I remember the Witness photo. You do a good job of combining your photos to make a piece of 'art' thumb.gif