Canon's has production back to normal levels, considering mirrorless

ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
edited July 13, 2011 in Cameras
http://the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=963&Title=Canon-Considering-Compact-Mirrorless-Camera-Production-at-Pre-Quake-Levels

From Reuters: Canon is back up to normal capacity where they were before the earthquake.

Also, it says they're considering a mirrorless camera, but keep in mind it was Reuters that said awhile back that Canon and Nikon were both working on mirrorless cams.

Comments

• MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
    Back in the mid-80's, GM considered, and rejected, selling a minivan. Why? they were afraid they would cannibalize station wagon sales.

I suspect Canon is in the same boat-- build a mirrorless, and they run the risk of cannibalizing their (likely higher margin) DSLR sales. Don't build a mirrorless, and watch their market share get eaten away by Sony, Olympus, etc.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
    Yes... their Rebels are so tiny anyway!eek7.gif If they make a mirrorless, the Rebels will suffer; if they don't make one, they will suffer. They'll have to weigh the cost. I think a mirrorless will appeal to shooters who are already invested in the DSLR system (with something higher than a Rebel) and will want something smaller and lighter, especially if they can use their EF lenses with it. The said group would not be interested in a Rebel, though.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
    Idle musings:

IMO there have been too many Rebels out at the same time, especially now that the 60d has made the XXd line more affordable and has dropped some of the "prosumer" features the XXd line used to signifiy - I could imagine Canon keeping one entry-level dSLR and adding a mirrorless (perhaps morphing the G series into a mirrorless line?). That could make for a pretty seamless lineup that could cater to anybody willing to invest in (or already invested in) lenses.

Maybe:

- Rebel
    - Mirrorless
    - XXd
    - 7/5d (crop/FF; speed vs highest ISO)
    - 3d (speculative 3d of course - more video orientated?)
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
    I think the mirrorless camera will be sufficiently different from the Rebels to keep them both in separate markets; there will be some cannibalization, for sure, but I think both Canon and Nikon are going to position them for the newcomer/travel photographer, not the enthusiast market.
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
    Wow, they heard my voice.clap.gif

Personally, I think the mirrorless body has their own market segment. Down the road 2 -5 years, with improvement of the sensor size and performance, pixel number, it may threaten the entry level DSLR segment. Canon has to come out with the right product timely to defend the market share. It has to start with APS-C sensor like the Sony, never go into the micro four-third.

For myself, I will take the mirrorless body as back-up, light-weight travelling and pocket size business camera.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
    edited July 6, 2011
    Canon says "We will launch an interesting product next year.” I'm guessing he's referring to the 70D rolleyes1.gif

Read more on PhotoRumors.com: http://photorumors.com/2011/07/05/canon-is-considering-releasing-a-small-mirrorless-camera-next-year/#ixzz1RKaN4wxJ
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    if canon or nikon can make a mirrorless camera that has DSLR like focus response..then that is an growing TAM that they should get into. If not then therir versions will just go into the fray.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited July 6, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    if canon or nikon can make a mirrorless camera that has DSLR like focus response..then that is an growing TAM that they should get into. If not then therir versions will just go into the fray.

THAT is one of my most-wanted features. That, EF lens compatibility, and a nice APS-C sensor (I think the 18mp one in the T3i/T2i/60D/7D would do just fine).
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2011
    I would also like a nice pocket size mirror-less APS-C sensor size camera, preferably at $300
    edited July 8, 2011
    Brett1000 wrote: »
    I would also like a nice pocket size mirror-less APS-C sensor size camera, preferably at $300

rolleyes1.gif.
    Is this the part of the thread where we start rattling off dream cameras?

I would like a full-frame, pocket-sized mirrorless camera, preferably at $250.

Actually I think it's a shame that Pentax, with its small, high quality primes, hasn't come out with a k-mount mirrorless. Although I'm told there are technical issues with registration distance, etc.
    edited July 8, 2011
    MarkR wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif.

I would like a full-frame, pocket-sized mirrorless camera, preferably at $250.

APS-C is fine, as long as it has 10fps and the 1-Series AF module. Maybe this will be their first 4K video camera too rolleyes1.gif

I wouldn't mind FF though... but an FF sensor costs so much. When you pay $2500 or so for a 5DII, most of that is for the sensor. It's not cheap to produce those chips. A few hundred for the body, a few hundred for the AF module, few for mirror, shutter, etc. The rest is the sensor.
    edited July 8, 2011
    APS-C is fine, as long as it has 10fps and the 1-Series AF module. Maybe this will be their first 4K video camera too rolleyes1.gif

I wouldn't mind FF though... but an FF sensor costs so much. When you pay $2500 or so for a 5DII, most of that is for the sensor. It's not cheap to produce those chips. A few hundred for the body, a few hundred for the AF module, few for mirror, shutter, etc. The rest is the sensor.

Oh, I was just being snarky, as is my wont. :D
    edited July 8, 2011
    Me too :D
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2011
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
    edited July 9, 2011
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2011
    great news, I bet it will take a couple of months before my dealer realises he can drop his high flying prices again rolleyes1.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston