Options

Insurance

ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
edited July 15, 2011 in Weddings
I'm officially uninsured as of end on June :huh
H&U went up to $600, yikes!!

Called State Farm and they currenly do not write business insurance in FL :scratch
Called Allstate and waiting of them to call back.

Who are you guys using and what are your rates?
Marina
www.intruecolors.com
Nikon D700 x2/D300
Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8

Comments

• Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
    interesting.
    i'm insured with Statefarm here, in IL/
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    OhiohikerOhiohiker Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
    State Farm in Ohio. I got a notice as of July 1st my deductible on the Inland Marine portion went to $100.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2011
    Allstate gave me Liability quote of $439.68, they will call tomorrow with E&O and inland marine, i feel it's going to be a lot! lol
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    I have over 20k worth of photography gear so for that + all my liability insurance I pay a little over $600 a year for insurance through State Farm. They've been great.
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2011
    I feel like I heard something about State Farm pulling out of Florida completely a year or two after the crazy hurricane season of 2005...?
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2011
    I use Travelers through USAA. I'm insured for something like 16-18k (liability + equipment) and pay around $500. I can't think of the exact amounts right now though.
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2011
    I, like others, have an inland-marine rider on my home owners insurance. If you're doing pro-work...you'll want to insure as such. It's more expensive.

I spoke to my agent and she told me that they frown on pros using amateur status to get lower rates. We didn't discuss the ramifications of getting caught trying to claim a loss as a professional while having your photo equipment insured as a amateur.

You have to have a home owners policy with my company in order to get an inland-marine rider that covers your photography equipment.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2011
    Who is your home insurer Ed? I haven't heard back from Allstate with the quote for I-M and also we don't have home insurance with them. I might just go back to H&U
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • Options
    ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2011
    A word to the wise, you guys who insure your equipment through your homeowners policy are risking it all. They only insure your equipment if you don't use it for profit. Otherwise you are considered a professional and it's at the discretion of the person you happen to get on the phone when you try to make a claim. So, you could hope they don't ask you if you shoot for money and if you have a decent amount of equipment, they will. Another option is that you could committ insurance fraud and tell them that you do not make money from your equipement, and hope they don't investigate. Your last option would be to pony up a little extra money and be covered through someone like Hill and Usher or through PPA. These guys insure phofessional photographers and they know what kind of coverage you need. Don't even get me started with having liability coverage, which you for sure can't get on your homeowners policy.
    Come see my Photos at:
    http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2011
    ^
    what?
    The same company can insure the professional as well.
    the difference for me was 67$.. between "hobbyist" and "pro" insurance..
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2011
    For the record, this prompted me to get mine set up and my Allstate quote (in Florida) was really similar: $425.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2011
    Kinkajou, was it for liability only? Also Allstate never followed up with me. Yikes! I'm still looking....
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • Options
    AroundDWorldAroundDWorld Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2011
    I'm looking as well....but having a hard time finding a reasonable price. And I don't want it attached to my homeowners. Here in Florida, we're lucky to even get insurance let alone be able to afford it!
    Following this thread :)