Austin | by Tyler Boone

Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
edited July 7, 2011 in People
Another shot for singer + songwriter Tyler Boone.

(C & C always welcomed)

5905803323_2a603167a8_b.jpg

Comments

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
    Very nice!!!
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
    Great treatment! My only issue is that he is cut off right at the knees.
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
    There is a lot--A LOT--to love about this photo. The lighting, the processing, the pose, the expression. All very, very well done. clap.gif There are a few nitpicky things that, in my mind, keep this from being absolutely fan-freaking-perfect. And these may just be to personal taste, so take 'em or leave 'em! No harm done. thumb.gif

The sunglasses truly bug me. They take what is otherwise a charming, good-ol'-boy, southern style and somehow cheapen it--or just add a note of discord. Being from Texas (and just south of Austin) myself, I expect my guitar-slingin' country boys to use cowboy hats to keep the sun out of their eyes--or tough it out with nothing at all--not Ray-bans. They also take the image from 100% professional musician to college kid performing at a local bar. I really can't pinpoint what it is about them, but the longer I look at the image, the more those sunglasses just bug me. ne_nau.gif

For the color treatment, I find it distracting only on his legs, where the effect makes one leg half-blue-half-purple and the other all purple. The color change jars me a bit.

For the graphic treatment in the upper left, I love it so much, but the layering modes seem to have affected the gears around the stars a bit differently depending on where they overlay the photograph. The middle gear is most visible, the left one slightly less so, and the right one can only be seen with some squinting and screen adjusting. It would be great to even out the visibility of those more.

For his name, "Tyler" is just a touch this side of too tough to read. Burn that in a bit more, and I think it'd be more legible while maintaining the color treatment you were going for.

Like I said, this may be all just really, really nitpicky on my part, but it's because I love the photo and treatment so much, I can't help but want to make it just a little more perfect. :D

This would make an outstanding album cover. It generates such a great mood and makes me want to know what kind of music this man plays. Truly superb effort, Darren. Very, very well done.
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
    LOVE IT! Fun, fun, fun!!
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    Being of an age where 'album covers' were exactly that - a decent area - I could imagine this doing the job well, but a few nits also.
    The shadow under his right jawline / neck immediately hit me ... as that bit of his jawline essentially disappeared - almost made me wonder if a bit of asymmetric shaving had been involved.
    Building feature plumb centre out of the top of his head.
    Sunglasses also - but because they're dark splodges / attention seekers.

Nice job tho.

pp
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2011
    Thanks everyone! I'll def take a 2nd look with the suggestions in mind.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2011
    boom! nice capture and processing. no nits
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2011
    i love the texturing! just wished it were wiped away a little more with the neck of the guitar. :B
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D