Options

Tedium of approving comments

jcdilljcdill Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
edited July 6, 2011 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
This was NOT fun. I received numerous emails today (one for each comment) that new comments have been posted, and the URL takes me to the photo, where the new comments don't appear because I moderate comments. There is no info or link on how to moderate my comments. Fortunately, I remembered that this is done in the control panel. Even more fortunately, I remember this is hidden on the Stats tab. (WTF? Why are comments considered "stats"?)

Bug: When comments are moderated, the included URL should take me to the page to moderate comments, rather than take me to the photo where there is no actual new comment.

I click on the tab to show the comments Awaiting Approval. There's a text link after each comment to approve or delete. I click Approve. Instead of an overlay saying it was approved, I'm taken to a totally useless results page. The options are to view the comment or to go back to my Comments page. But when I go back to the comments page, I'm now viewing All Comments, not just the ones awaiting approval. So it takes THREE CLICKS AND THREE PAGE LOADS TO APPROVE EACH COMMENT.

I don't remember it being nearly this poorly designed or tedious the last time I approved comments. IIRC the last time I had a form page with a thumbnail for each comment, a text field of the comment that was left (that I could edit before approval, if necessary), and a checkbox to select to approve, so that I could batch approve all the comments I wanted to accept in one step. Am I misremembering?

Also, my comments approval page still shows that I have 17 comments awaiting approval even though I have NO comments awaiting approval. This is a bug, it resulted from my deleting photos that had comments pending approval. (which I posted about at the time)

Can you PLEASE FIX MY ACCOUNT SO THAT IT SHOWS THE CORRECT NUMBER? This problem stems from photos uploaded last October.
JC Dill - Equine Photographer, San Francisco & San Jose http://portfolio.jcdill.com
"Chance favors the prepared mind." ~ Ansel Adams
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett

Comments

• Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    Wow, what a pain. Looks like I'm going to have to research comments pretty hardcore before I turn them on.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    Hello JC, I've asked the programmer in charge of this, and the product team, to have a look at your post. Thanks for taking the time to write it up.
  • Options
    jcdilljcdill Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Hello JC, I've asked the programmer in charge of this, and the product team, to have a look at your post. Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

Thanks Andy.
    JC Dill - Equine Photographer, San Francisco & San Jose http://portfolio.jcdill.com
    "Chance favors the prepared mind." ~ Ansel Adams
    "Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    scotticusscotticus Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    Very good points across the board jcdill. I'm going to see what I can do about making this easier (and fixing the bugs), and I'll post back here when I make some progress. Thanks for the input.

-Scott.