Options

Lightroom republish eating memory

jcdilljcdill Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
edited July 7, 2011 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I have a gallery with over 900 photos in it from a horse show. I uploaded smaller sized jpegs to get the photos up and allow for smaller print orders (up to 8x12) right away. Now I want to republish with full-size jpegs so customers can order larger prints (up to 16x24). I changed the Publish settings to upload full-size files, and set all the photos to republish.

The Publish module apparently makes temp jpegs of ALL the files before it starts to publish! The free memory on my hard drive (more than 7 GBs) goes down, and down, and down, and the progress bar never moves. Finally the OS complains that I'm out of free memory, everything stops. I canceled the upload, shut everything down, and only had 1 GB of free memory. I rebooted and had 7 GBs of free memory again.

The Lightroom catalog (and the photo files) are on an external drive with plenty of disk space. The problem is that it is creating these temp files on the main hard disk. 7 GBs should be plenty of free space, but this process is eating SO much memory that it eats it all up.

1) Immediate need: How can I reset the images so that LR doesn't try to republish ALL of them, without LR then unpublishing them? That way I could republish in smaller batches (a PITA, but it would get it done).

2) Temp file location: Is there a way to tell Lightroom to make the temp files on the external drive, which has plenty of space?

3) Feature request: Can you rewrite the Publish module to not make all the temp files all at once? Instead, make just a few (e.g. 10-20 files) and then start uploading. As each file finishes delete the temp file then make one more. This will keep the queue full, without chewing up all my free hard drive making files you won't need for HOURS.
JC Dill - Equine Photographer, San Francisco & San Jose http://portfolio.jcdill.com
"Chance favors the prepared mind." ~ Ansel Adams
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett

Comments

• Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    I am doing this from memory, so I might be incorrect. If I remember correctly you can shift click multiple images, say 20 or so in the library, then right click and select Publish Now. I believe that will immediately republish just those images.

As I said I am not in front of my computer so I might be mistaken.

There is no way to set the temp directory as I have had the same question with same problem.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    jcdilljcdill Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2011
    I am doing this from memory, so I might be incorrect. If I remember correctly you can shift click multiple images, say 20 or so in the library, then right click and select Publish Now. I believe that will immediately republish just those images.

As I said I am not in front of my computer so I might be mistaken.

There is no way to set the temp directory as I have had the same question with same problem.

There is no "publish now" option in the right-click menu. :-(
    JC Dill - Equine Photographer, San Francisco & San Jose http://portfolio.jcdill.com
    "Chance favors the prepared mind." ~ Ansel Adams
    "Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 7, 2011
    jcdill wrote: »
    1) Immediate need: How can I reset the images so that LR doesn't try to republish ALL of them, without LR then unpublishing them? That way I could republish in smaller batches (a PITA, but it would get it done).
    I'm not aware of a method to do this without modifying the database directly.
    2) Temp file location: Is there a way to tell Lightroom to make the temp files on the external drive, which has plenty of space?
    I thought there was, but I can't seem to find at the moment.
    3) Feature request: Can you rewrite the Publish module to not make all the temp files all at once? Instead, make just a few (e.g. 10-20 files) and then start uploading. As each file finishes delete the temp file then make one more. This will keep the queue full, without chewing up all my free hard drive making files you won't need for HOURS.
    our plugin actually tells LR to delete the file after each upload, but I believe we are at the mercy of LR as to when it actually deletes/purges it's cache.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2011
    Sorry JC you are right, it is Republish now for the collection.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact