PSP X and RAW

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited October 12, 2005 in Finishing School
I just upgraded yesterday and am fiddling around with it - problem with upgrading of course is the lack of a manual.

In PSP 9, I was able to open the RAW image and had the option of adjusting sharpness, EC and white balance before returning to PSP for further editing.

In PSP X, if I open the RAW image I am sent to the 'smart adjustment' option. Worked wonderfully on the first image I opened, and really poorly on the second. This option allows for the changing of sharpness, saturation, brightness, white and black points....is this the RAW conversion dialogue now?

I am a bit confused :dunno :dunno :dunno

Thanks

ann

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:

In PSP X, if I open the RAW image I am sent to the 'smart adjustment' option. Worked wonderfully on the first image I opened, and really poorly on the second. This option allows for the changing of sharpness, saturation, brightness, white and black points....is this the RAW conversion dialogue now?
    Okay, the answer to this is yes - this is the RAW conversion step. The important thing is to set all values to 0 (default) and then do your adjustments gently. Works quite nicely -

ann
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2005
    thanks for the info, ann thumb.gif
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited October 10, 2005
    Ann, have you tried the bundled RSE software yet?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited October 10, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    Ann, have you tried the bundled RSE software yet?
    No - not sure it is installed yet - doesn't open along with the corel PSP - new icon even had me confused!

I'll check into its where abouts - but it is a holiday here today so am fighting wiht kids for computer access.
    ann
    edited October 10, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    No - not sure it is installed yet - doesn't open along with the corel PSP - new icon even had me confused!

I'll check into its where abouts - but it is a holiday here today so am fighting wiht kids for computer access.
    ann
    It is not at all part of PSP. It ships with it, but is its own program. Could it be on a its own CD?

(note: perhaps it might not have shipped with the version you have. It is with the boxed retail distribution, from what I've read.)
    My Smugmug
  • behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    It is not at all part of PSP. It ships with it, but is its own program. Could it be on a its own CD?

(note: perhaps it might not have shipped with the version you have. It is with the boxed retail distribution, from what I've read.)
    Are you talking about Rawshooter Essentials? It is a separate download that comes with the download bundle. I have note downloaded it as my Panny does not shoot in RAW.

Bear
    edited October 11, 2005
    behr655 wrote:
    Are you talking about Rawshooter Essentials? It is a separate download that comes with the download bundle. I have note downloaded it as my Panny does not shoot in RAW.

Bear
    Thanks Behr! Downloaded it this p.m., and hope to try it tomorrow.

ann
    edited October 11, 2005
    Raw Shooter Essentials and other first impressions
    Okay, I have now used Raw Shooter essentials on a couple of photos. Some very preliminary comments and impressions about it and about PSP X. I will continue to add impressions to this thread, if there is interest.

1. Raw Shooter Essentials comes with instructions - a large .pdf file. Good!!

2. It allows/encourages batch conversions.

3. When you say 'okay' to convert, it opens the image in PSP 9 - not PSP X. Will have to pursue that further - seems odd to me. Especially since PSP 9 will not save the .jpgs from RAW shooter (same problem as with saving using the Jasc raw convertor - error saving data - work around is to save as PSD first, then as jpg)

4. You have control over a.) WB - pcik a white spot on the photo, use the as shot WB or estimate WB b.) color temp
    c.)tint on a slider
    d.)appearance - choices range from flat to indoor to outdoor e.)ec, fill light, shadow, highlight, saturation, hue, sharpness, detail extraction, noise suppression, color noise suppression all on their own sliders.

There is a very complex, histogram like grph at the bottom that graphs in various colors and changes as you change sliders.

It seems like quite a powerful tool. The photos I am working on are not in need of large amounts of changes, so I cannot provide a super review yet.

Now, for PSP X, the one thing I've not yet found (and it may not be there any more) is manual color correction.

Let me know if you are interested in knowing more.

A sample:
    RAW to jpg using PSP X smart photo:
    39465490-M.jpg

From above, using curves:
    39488305-M.jpg

RAW to PSD to JPG using RAw Shooter essentials and PSP 9:
    39627085-M.jpg

and finally, above plus curves in PSP X:
    39627084-M.jpg

And I'd like to know if any of the edits are good.

ann
    edited October 11, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:

3. When you say 'okay' to convert, it opens the image in PSP 9 - not PSP X. Will have to pursue that further - seems odd to me. Especially since PSP 9 will not save the .jpgs from RAW shooter (same problem as with saving using the Jasc raw convertor - error saving data - work around is to save as PSD first, then as jpg)

Now, for PSP X, the one thing I've not yet found (and it may not be there any more) is manual color correction.

ann
    It is possible that you have RAW files associated with PSP9 and not PSPX. Go to Preferances in PSPX and make sure you have RAW associated with it (it should over ride the association with PSP9).

As far manual color correction, you are right, I don't see it either. It was a tool that I never used in PSP9 so I guess I will not miss it much.

Bear
    edited October 11, 2005
    behr655 wrote:
    It is possible that you have RAW files associated with PSP9 and not PSPX. Go to Preferances in PSPX and make sure you have RAW associated with it (it should over ride the association with PSP9).

As far manual color correction, you are right, I don't see it either. It was a tool that I never used in PSP9 so I guess I will not miss it much.

Bear
    Hi Bear

Nope, thats not it - I have RAW turned on in both. I'm sure it will sort itself out as time goes by. Wondering - can I delete PSP 7 if I've used it as the base for upgrades?

ann
    edited October 11, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hi Bear

Nope, thats not it - I have RAW turned on in both. I'm sure it will sort itself out as time goes by. Wondering - can I delete PSP 7 if I've used it as the base for upgrades?

ann
    Turn it off in 9 unless you wish to keep using it in 9.

You should be able to get rid of 7. The X upgrade is a stand alone application and does not rely on older versions. Make sure that you not using any files in 7 though. Like plug-ins and such.

Bear
    edited October 12, 2005
    As a workaround, can you not just save the RSE result as an 8 bit or 16 bit .TIF image, and then reopen that in PSPX?

Some RSE reviews and resources...

RSE Review:
    http://www.outbackphoto.com/artofraw/raw_18/essay.html

Another:
    http://www.tedsimages.com/text/links1.htm#pixmantec
    My Smugmug