Digital pinhole, the first test :)

ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
edited July 10, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
After seeing some impressive photos taken with this technique i was inspired to test the same thing myself.

I will try to get the hole a bit smaller for some what more sharp images, but i like the dreamy, dirty effect you can get with this.

C&C

DSC4036-X2.jpg

DSC4041-X2.jpg

DSC4032-X2.jpg

DSC4030-X2.jpg

Comments

• shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2011
    Don't know much about pinhole Photography, But I say somewhat sharper would be better. Doesn't look dreamy to me, just out of focus.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2011
    Arvan, man! You been in hibernation??!! I know it gets too dark and cold in those long winters you guys get up your way to stay out of the burrow for too long, but, heck, it's been a very long winter this last one!:D

Great to see your experiments with pinhole.thumb.gif I'm tempted myself, but still have so much to deal with, with ordinary "straight" shooting. I'm on the studio lighting cliff face atm.

I have some links for interesting pinhole stuff. If you're interested, let me know.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • JBHotShotsJBHotShots Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2011
    Would or could someone elaborate on pinhole photography? All I really see is the aforementioned.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2011
    NeilL wrote: »
    Arvan, man! You been in hibernation??!! I know it gets too dark and cold in those long winters you guys get up your way to stay out of the burrow for too long, but, heck, it's been a very long winter this last one!:D

Great to see your experiments with pinhole.thumb.gif I'm tempted myself, but still have so much to deal with, with ordinary "straight" shooting. I'm on the studio lighting cliff face atm.

I have some links for interesting pinhole stuff. If you're interested, let me know.

Neil

Well Neil its good to see you to :D
    Ive bin posting some photos since i think early spring on the forum. I didnt get any response so my posts just got washed away by others.

Well pinhole is an very early type of photography. Instead of a lens you just make a VERY small hole in your camera body cap and shoot..Its a bit tricky to get the exposure right but if you get int right it will reward you with cool photos!

The very blurry images i got from this is from the hole i made, its just to big..So i need to modify the cap and see if i get some better results out of this...Just a good way to spend some spare time :)

Cheers yall!

BTW here is a link of a similar setup that i used, exept i have a nikon d300 camera body.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/prescottfoland/4924618925/
  • Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2011
    What size drill bit did you use to make the hole? If you need a smaller bit, at work I frequently order drill bits from here
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#metalworking-drill-bits/=d3r4zm
    and you'd want to check out the wire gauge sizes.
    edited July 9, 2011
    Any drill is way to big, you need a very very small needle to make the hole itself. I used a drill just to get down to the point where i could push the needle through the plastic.
  • Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2011
    You sure? I was just poking around and it looks like a normal sewing pin is 0.5-0.7mm and you can buy drill bits all the way down to 0.05mm, a tenth of the size. What kind of pin did you use?
    edited July 10, 2011
    You can probably do this in 10 different ways, if you have a drill that is smaller then 0,5 mm maby it should do the trick.

it´s sort of hard to give it the exact numbers of how it "suppose" to be. Trial and error is the best way to go i guess.