Midnight sun in Finland (C&C please)

lnormlnorm Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited July 15, 2011 in Landscapes
We spent last week in Rovaniemi, North of Finland (and home of Santa Clause).

At this time of year the sun doesn't actually set. The one down side is that if you like photographing colourful skies you need to be awake from about 11.30pm to 1.30am!

Lapland-6-L.jpg

Lapland-7-L.jpg

Lapland-4-L.jpg

I'd very much appreciate any honest feedback, especially on if the processing has gone too far.

Lisa

Comments

• BrucheBruche Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2011
    Beautiful.....

R/
    Bruce
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2011
  • lnormlnorm Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2011
    Thanks for the comments, I originally didn't like number two very much but I think it is growing on me
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 10, 2011
    Beautiful photos! It must be great to have lots of sweet light lasting several hours. :D

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2011
    Beautiful light! I mean to travel somewhere like Norway or Finland one year to take advantage of this extended sweet light. Great to see it lives up to its promise. thumb.gif
    edited July 11, 2011
    schmoo wrote: »
    Beautiful light! I mean to travel somewhere like Norway or Finland one year to take advantage of this extended sweet light. Great to see it lives up to its promise. thumb.gif

You should definitely do it!

We were actually meant to fly to Finland for Christmas but our flights were cancelled due to the snow at Heathrow Airport so we rescheduled them to July. In the end, I think being there for midnight sun was better than being there in the middle of winter with no daylight (and we ended up spending christmas drinking beer in Munich instead!)
  • nazquelnazquel Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2011
    Hi lisa!

i think your processing was very good... dont think you went too far at all.

as far as the compositions/crops, i have some thoughts

for the first one, i feel like theres a bit missing in the top left hand side of the frame... i might have tried maybe more of that grass with the small flowers instead.

the second one, i like but think might look better in a square or 4"by5" crop. if you shave off some from the left, my eye would be more drawn to the flowy grass, and less to the blades of grass coming in from out of the frame. i would look to keep some of those underwater pebbles that drift to the darkness... :)

just some thoughts..! nice work
    Navin Sarma

Washington, D.C., based landscape and fine art photographer

http://navinsarmaphotography.com/
    edited July 15, 2011
    nazquel wrote: »
    Hi lisa!

i think your processing was very good... dont think you went too far at all.

as far as the compositions/crops, i have some thoughts

for the first one, i feel like theres a bit missing in the top left hand side of the frame... i might have tried maybe more of that grass with the small flowers instead.

the second one, i like but think might look better in a square or 4"by5" crop. if you shave off some from the left, my eye would be more drawn to the flowy grass, and less to the blades of grass coming in from out of the frame. i would look to keep some of those underwater pebbles that drift to the darkness... :)

just some thoughts..! nice work

Great advice and very much appreciated!
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2011
    Love your first image. Wonderful soft light, excellent composition.